Friday, July 26, 2013
real life summer
Happy summer! I didn't necessarly intend to take the summer off from blogging, but that is what seems to have happened! Maybe I needed the break. I do love blogging, but I've changed so much in the years since I started this blog. Sometimes it feels exhausting to worry about photographing the moment or trying to make my life seem more beautiful and idylic than it really is (not that I have ever tried to purposefully mislead. I do believe life is beautiful and I love documenting the good things).
Parts of summer have felt heavy this year. And I haven't done as many summery things as I had hoped. But we have had many sweet and happy moments and I am grateful to have a break from work and more time around the family.
In the photos above:
1. We took a walk around the Santa Barbara Harbor while Ken was doing a swim meet (we watched him swim as much as possible and took little breaks with the kids as needed). The boys love to peer down into the water and look for crabs and fish.
2. Ken's swim meet in SB. What a gorgeous setting!
3. You guys--I bought a car! I am beyond thrilled! I'd been driving my old car for 19 years and it was beyond gross. I never took any pride of ownership in my old car. I didn't get to choose it and I didn't work at the time so I was more oblivious to the fact of what a major purchase a car is. The kids seemed to trash it pretty early on and I just sort of let it go. This time around I am the complete opposite! I'm keeping it clean and fresh and I adore it.
4. Dieter reads to Rainer sometimes in the mornings--mostly Calvin and Hobbes. It's so sweet.
5. This poster was in the Subaru dealership. My old car was a Honda Accord (1994) and it indeed was built to outlast its styling!
6. Carrie visited! We had such a nice visit with lots of lunches out and shopping and conversation.
7. LAX. It freaks me out! But I managed to drop Carrie off and get home uneventfully. Phew!
8. Rainer on the slide in a little pocket park in Santa Barbara.
9. On the 101 freeway (I didn't take this while driving--honest!)
10. Brothers. They've been getting along pretty well this summer. I love it when they play without fighting.
11. Swim lessons. The boys did two sessions this year. Their teachers were amazing--mostly young men with such enthusiasm and a great way with kids. We've had such good experiences with swim lessons these last few years. And I love this pretty pool!
How is your summer so far? I still have 4 weeks of vacation and I'm going to try to make the most of it!