Wednesday, February 10, 2010

wintery

We have had a lovely winter here so far. Mildly cold with a fair amount of rain--jacket wearing weather. The chilly temperatures are really helping me make peace with living here. Last winter the rain and cold weather skipped us altogether. I distinctly remember a warm weather snap last year in January. I had to get out all my summery work tops--I remember a co-worker wearing a sleeveless shift dress, bare legs and sandals. In January! In February we were having little tea parties under the trees. It was dry and not a bit chilly. All that warm weather last winter made me very grumpy (then we had a cool spring and a temperate summer, but still . . .) Here are some scenes from our trip to the park on Sunday. It was a beautiful day!
{my favoritie kind of dandelions--the ones that look like daisies}
{jacket weather}
{Faith down by the creek. She's a nature girl--but only if located within the city limits! :)}
{water in the creek is thrilling! It is normally so dry here}
{finding rocks to throw in}
{jumping in the leaves is always fun}

This park has a day use fee ($4 per car) but we thought it was a great bargain for all this fun and beauty.

I'm also getting out and walking more this winter. I decided it's a great time of year to start a walking program, and if I don't force myself to go outside I never do and I become so sedentary. So now on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays I'm walking at least 20 minutes. And on Sundays we walk to Farmer's Market. It feels good!

11 comments:

Joy said...

I'm glad you're getting your winter this year. The park looks lovely. What a beautiful weekend!

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful post! There is nothing as beautiful as a long walk!

Jess said...

It's most definitely winter here in MN. Your river pictures are good for my soul.
Thank you.

Andrea said...

Isn't if funny how weather can affect one like that? Last summer here was so cold and wet and rainy that it really was hardly a summer at all, so that it makes this winter (though relatively warm--only dipping below zero a handful of times, and up to the 20s or 30s in the day--and a heat wave of 44 yesterday!) really hard to bear. I guess it's all relative!

Rain said...

I'm originally a California girl so I know what you mean about the winters. Now I live in upstate NY and wouldn't mind a little of it. : )
p.s. I 'm going to try those pb bars today as we are expecting a bunch of snow.

Jane said...

Oh your Winter sounds wonderful - the kind of Winter I want and need.......our Winters here in Alberta just don't suit me at all......and Spring is still a LONG way off.....

Its_Lily said...

I giggled when I read that Faith is a nature girl, but only if it's in the city. She's a beautiful girl.

Anonymous said...

Your winter sounds much nicer than ours!! I'm glad you've gotten out in it a lot though. That's so nice.

Nicole Vangen said...

Through your photos - I take such a pleasant and joyful walk.

Love them,
Nicole

Jessica said...

For me- getting out and taking walks during the winter months are what helps me get through these tough days. I'm living vicariously through your winter!

FranziskaL said...

Hi Mary Beth, I should go out more often too. I do have a park right in front of our house, but it is so freezing cold in Germany right now, that I don't want to take one step. But you did encourage me to take a long walk in the snow (tons of snow) tonight. Tomorrow I am of to Burgkirchen (it's near Austria) with my sweetheart on a special Valentine's weekend. A little bit of wellness after a week full of stress.
Franzi