Monday, February 8, 2010

peanut butter power bars

A few years ago when Carrie was visiting, she told me about the "peanut butter power bars" she'd always get at a little coffee place in Lawrence. Doesn't that sound good? I really liked the idea of such a bar, so I tried to make some. Since then, I haven't made them, until this weekend, when I tried again and healthied them up even more. Now they are all whole wheat and sweetened with maple syrup and no sugar (except for whatever is in the chocolate chips). I like the idea of packing a healthy bar in the lunches and not having it be so candified as a normal bar cookie.
They're a hit! They're high and cakey, but next time I want to experiment with making them more dense and moist by eliminating the leavening altogether (more like a brownie, I suppose).
Here's the recipe so far:

Peanut Butter Power Bars

1 c. natural peanut butter
1/2 c butter
1 c. maple syrup
2 t. vanilla
2 beaten eggs
2 1/4 c. whole wheat flour
1/4 c. flax meal
1 c. dried milk
1 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
3/4 c. chocolate chips

Cream the butter and peanut butter. Add the maple syrup, vanilla, and eggs. Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl, then combine them with the p.b. mixture. Stir in chocolate chips. Spread into prepared 9x13" baking dish and bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until done.

I'll let you know if I make the non-leavened version!

20 comments:

Sarah said...

Those look delicious! I can't resist anything with peanut butter and chocolate so I think I'll have to try these soon.

Jessica said...

If I pick up peanut butter, I'll have everything to make these tonight! Exactly what I needed to make-I'd rather make my own than buy them!

Susan said...

ooo, these sound dangerous.... PB is beloved in our house! ; )

pilgrimama said...

Great! Do you have a good source for maple syrup? I tend to struggle with the price tag on natural sweeteners-but feel like it would be best to use them.

Michaela said...

Yum, another great idea. I am missing some ingredients and it is snowing out a lot, so it will have to wait, but I am definitely trying this one... Unfortunately, I am the only one that likes peanut butter in this house... oh wait, fortunately..

dust in the wind said...

Mmm... looks great! And I'm really looking forward to the denser version. Guess I'll have to stay tuned in for that one! Thanks for this recipe. I admire your experimenting in the kitchen :) But, then again, how could anything with PB in it go wrong??

Andrea said...

Yummmm!

Anonymous said...

these look good - thanks!!

Its_Lily said...

It's snowing like crazy here so I suppose I should make some power bars so I can survive, right? Shucks, I wouldn't want to go out to shovel and get worn out by the exertion. *grins* By the way, I received the package and the goodies are simply wonderful! Thank you so much. As predicted, I nipped into the chocolate immediately. Oh, how can it be so yummy?

Anonymous said...

Oh I can't wait to make these. Do you think the amount of maple syrup could be lessened? I am always a big fan of low sugar for kids. I am out of chocolate, yikes, but may try them with raisins...I'll let you know.

OnceUponAParent.Blogspot.com

Kelli said...

OH yummr! I am going to make these after my 6 week diet! and probably use carob chips

Heather said...

These look so amamzing. Thank you for sharing. I think that I will try and adapt these to be GF for my family.
So yummy!

Carrie said...

I haven't stopped to get a PB Power Bar in forever! I'm meeting someone for coffee today so I might pick one up. I'm so glad to have a decent internet connection after my week in rural Mississippi. I missed your blog posts!

Annette W. said...

After posting about granola and flax seed today, a friend sent me here!

Will they turn out if I use Jif?

Thanks!

erin said...

we just made these and YUM! They are delicious! We did have a problem with them not cooking in the center but still they are delicious! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I just made these and they turned out fabulous. I made a couple changes to suit my low fat diet I am currently on. I substituted unsweetened applesauce for the butter and 2 bananas for the eggs.

Thanks!

Geek+Nerd said...

These look great!

Lenetta said...

Sounds awesome! I linked to these on my weekly roundup and I've been hungry ever since. :>) Will have to try them soon!

Unknown said...

These look great! Does the unleavened version just omit the baking powder and soda?

Mary Beth said...

Alicia--yes. I liked it a little better that way. It's just a textural issue. I liked them a little denser.