Sunday, December 5, 2010

studio morning







I so enjoyed my studio morning on Saturday. Once again I contemplated how fun and fulfilling it is to make something. Creating instead of consuming--so much better. I especially enjoyed the particular luxury of having the house to myself for a few hours while Ken took the boys out for some fun and the teens were away. I love to putter about by myself for short bursts here and there. So . . . there was handwork, tea drinking, checking things off of my Christmas 'to do' list, and a bit of baking for my father's 80th birthday party which we celebrated that evening. What I mainly worked on was a set of rainbow gnomes (inspired by this photo from my flickr' favorties) that I'm making for the boys for Christmas. I especially enjoyed the peace of doing handwork and not having to hunch over the machine and get up and down to use the iron (although I love that kind of sewing too, of course), choosing colors of embroidery floss for each gnome, sewing up their backs and hats, and trying to perfect my blanket stitch. I completed a whole rainbow of gnomes and they are very cutely being hidden under a cardboard tree-shaped cone from Michael's.

It's raining strongly here tonight. Such a treat. The tree is up and we are feeling very Christmassy indeed. I can hardly wait to be out for vacation in two more weeks. Happy start of the week to you all!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

they look like a wonderful little gift!! Its nice having some time to yourself to just be, and very much needed too I think xx

Aimee said...

where you did purchase that big, lovely red/white twine??

8760 said...

Lovely!! Your studio is just gorgeous and must be a joy to work in. I made one of the bean filled frogs the other day that you wrote about. I did a pink one for a christmas present for someone. I'm going to do one for my son's stocking too! :) PS I posted my bunting pictures up the other day... have a look and see what you think!!

Jars of Giggles said...

I just made some of these for party favors for my daughters 4th birthday what a hit. She picked the felt from a donated stash. It was thin craft felt not great quality but the kids loved them anyway.

Fiona said...

That first photo is full of lovely things, where did you get them?! Loving your mellow approach to the holidays, as always :)

Andrea said...

Oh how sweet. Those rainbow gnomes are going to be adorable. I'm so impressed with how organized you are with your holiday goings-on!

Mary Beth said...

Hi everyone!

The red and white bakery twine is from Tilda's Bake Shop: http://www.tildas.com/bakery_twine.htm

The rubber stamps are from Michael's (in the Martha Stewart section).

The sweet labels are from Ilee on Etsy. http://www.etsy.com/shop/ilee?ref=pr_shop_more

Christina Weedon said...

You inspired an afternoon craft... had to share! There are a couple of other photos before and after this one :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26147828@N05/5250319064/