Tuesday, April 8, 2008

My Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe

I could never limit myself to just one recipe for chocolate chip cookies, but I think this one is my absolute favorite. I love it because it forms a crisp outer shell all around the cookie but is still soft and chewy on the inside. Heaven! The other real plus for this recipe is that it is super easy and you don't have to plan ahead to set out the butter--it calls for melted butter, so there you go. Oh, and you don't need a mixer either. I made these this weekend as I contemplated cutting back on sugar . . . hmm, still contemplating.

I got this recipe when somebody posted it on the Cooking Light bulletin board. They said it was an Alton Brown recipe.

Chocolate Chip Cookie #10 from I'm Just Here for More Food (Alton Brown)

Mix and set aside:
2 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 t baking soda
1 t salt

Now mix together the wet ingredients:
3/4 c. sugar
3/4 c. brown sugar
1 c. unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled [I used salted butter because I love the combination of salty and sweet together and also it's what I usually have on hand]
2 large egg yolks
1 t. vanilla extract

Now add the dry to the wet and mix gently with a wooden spoon. Do not over mix!! The one time this recipe didn't work out was when we overmixed it (and they turned out flat and greasy). While there is still some flour showing, add 2 c. chocolate chips and mix the rest of the way.

Bake 10-11 minutes or until golden at 375.

And now I have more good Rainer news. His lab results came back yesterday showing no leukemia cells whatsover! Hooray! That means he can start his next phase of chemo, this week or next (depending on more lab results which will be drawn today--his bone marrow has to have recovered to a certain point before it can be "hit again" so to speak). He needs more chemo (he'll be under treatment for 3 years) or else the leukemia will come back. I'm still really worried about this little guy though. Not only has he not walked since the beginning of this, he's also not crawling, rolling over, or supporting any weight on his legs. It's really worrisome. Keep sending prayers and good thoughts for him.

31 comments:

amy turn sharp said...

sweet news! And of course prayers xoxoxo
kiss that little man all over :)

Carrie said...

Great news! I will come whisper to him again this summer with promises of guinea pigs or cars. I don't remember which I promised before but maybe it will work again. Has the Dr. mentioned any PT?

Mary said...

Great news! I will keep Rainer in my thoughts and prayers. Because my son Ollie is 18 months old, I think of Rainer often. I can't wait to try your chocolate chip recipe. I have a way of ruining Chocolate chip cookies every time.

ames said...

hooray for good news! I've been following your saga for just a little bit, I'm very much hoping that everything stays on the up and up :)

marvelous looking recipe, I can't wait to give them a try...I have a silly habit of over-softening butter in the microwave so starting with melted is just *perfect*

Sarah said...

Those cookies look delicious! I have tried many chocolate chip cookie recipes, but I don't think I've ever narrowed down a favorite.

Still praying for sweet Rainer.

tess said...

great news, and those cookies look delicious

jessica said...

I always love a new chocolate chip cookie recipe.

Such great news about Rainer - and most certainly the prayers will keep coming.

Kelli said...

I am always looking for a better cookie recipe. I am going to try this one. Thanks

Great news on your little guy. I will keep praying for him, and the rest of your family

periwinkle said...

I've been following your Blog for a little while now - great news-- thinking of your little one.
Lisa x

taisa said...

I'm so glad to hear that Rainer's tests have come back clear and I'll keep him in my thoughts.

::m:: said...

that's such good news and your little one and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers...

by the way, the picture turned out great! :)

:: missy :: www.projectmcb.com ::

Meg said...

Oh, such good news! I would try not to worry so much about his mobility right now--I bet his body knows it needs to do--fight off cancer right now, and when that's licked, he'll get back to the business of being a busy baby!

I'll have to try out that cookie recipe--the melted butter definitely appeals to me! I feel like I spend hours waiting for the butter to soften up--or I melt it in the microwave accidentally.

Christy said...

Yes! Good prayers, good thoughts.

Maybe he just is wanting to feel helped, carried right now--instinctively--while his body heals?

I could see that.

Good news about the leukemia!

dottycookie said...

Wonderful test news, and of course we're still thinking of you all.

Thank you for the recipe - it looked scrumptious.

Melissa said...

That is good news! Praying for your baby to get strong again. Those cookies look yummy :o)

Our Adventures As A Family of 4.... said...

wonderful news about Rainer. I like that cookie recipe, it looks like one I will have to try.

Carrie said...

Sweet! (The cookies,but most of all the Rainer news)
I am sorry to hear,though,that he hasn't been mobile. Hopefully,it is just because he is tired and he will bounce back soon,his little body is sure taking a lot right now.

BenBirdy1 said...

That's wonderful news!

You are in my heart and thoughts tonight: I ended up on your blog just this evening, after googling "make stickers gelatin," of all things, and now it's hours later, and I've been reading about your beautiful family, ogling your beautiful life, admiring your beautiful crafts, and thinking deeply about your beautiful, healing Rainer. I will be back many times.

Health and happiness to you and your family.

yours truly,
Catherine

TeamMcDonough said...

Yummy cookie recipe. Wow what a beautiful blog. I don't remember how I found your but I'm sure to be back. Great news for your precious babe. I will keep him in my prayers.

Roxanne said...

Such good news -I'll keep sending healing thoughts and prayers.
I worried about my youngest with walking late also- he was born with clubfoot and needed castings and an 8 hour operation and leg braces. Now he's 13 and walks just fine- in fact just today I was mad at him for running on my daffodils during a game of tag!
Someday, when Rainer is 13 and playing with his brother and his friends it will be impossible to tell which child was the early walker,which was the late walker or which one stopped walking for a little while. You'll just want them all to get out of your flowers! :0)
I linked to your blog today- finally made those dried apples you posted about back in October. Delicious- next I'll have to try making those chocolate chippers!

amanda said...

I'm really happy to read that the luekemia cells are gone completely. That sounds like very encouraging news! I hope Rainer starts doing all of his tricks again soon. It would be great to pop over here and see a picture of him on the move.

Thanks for the recipe, too. My favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe also calls for egg yolks only. It must be one of the secrets to getting that perfect texture. I'll give your recipe a try for sure.

Felicia said...

I'm sending positive thoughts his way :)

delamunn said...

We tried this recipe last night. It's our new favorite! Soooo Good! Thanks!

melissa said...

thank you for this recipe. i ried it on the weekend- it's so good!

Mary Beth said...

You're welcome, Melissa. I'm glad you liked them!

katie said...

hey i'd like to try these!can u confirm in 1c a cup?

Mary Beth said...

Hi Katie. Yes, 1 c. is 1 cup. Hope you like them!

Jacqui Dodds said...

Hi Mary Beth
I have just found this recipe - can you please confirm also that 1 t. is equivalent to a teaspoon rather than a tablespoon. Thank you

Mary Beth said...

Yes. I use t. for teaspoon and T. for tablespoon. Hope that helps.
MB

Jacqui Dodds said...

Thank you replying so quickly - I thought that I understood your shorthand correctly, knowing the usual quantities for biscuits. I thought I had better just check as I might have been wrong! Many thanks
Jacqui

Cindy @ Creating at Home said...

Hello,

I've just mixed up this cookie dough and it is very dry. Is it supposed to be so dry that the chocolate chips don't stick at all to the dough? I triple checked my measurements and ingredients and I did follow the recipe exactly. Not sure why it is so dry.