Tuesday, July 28, 2009

a fondue-field hockey- fun party!

Lately I have really been into throwing these little "parties" for just us on the weekends. They really promote sibling bonding and are fun for everyone. This party was quite simple--fondue and field hockey--a winning combination, it turned out. I adore this cheese fondue--it's a cheddar fondue and we dip sourdough bread into it and just serve it with a big salad. It's so festive, but also so very easy.
Faith invited her friend over. Ken and Rainer were there too, of course, taking the photo.
After dinner the kids played field hockey in the back yard. Dieter thinks he is one of the teens (and the teen siblings are so sweet to him, always).
Later in the evening we had chocolate fondue for dessert.
The teens ended up playing board games late into the night, especially Taboo, which really is so very fun.

Here is the recipe I always use for a very family friendly cheddar fondue. I got it from my friend, who cut it out from a newspaper back in the 70's. It's very retro but honestly so delicious.

Cheese Fondue

1/2 c. milk
1/4 c. white wine
1/2 t. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 t. dry mustard
1 c. mayonaise
4 c. grated sharp cheddar (really pack it in there)

sourdough bread

Mix the milk, wine, Worcestershire, dry mustard, mayo and cheese in a saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring, until cheese melts and is very hot. Pour into fondue pot. Serve with hot crusty sourdough.

8 comments:

Julie said...

It looks delicious and fun! I've actually never had fondue-- but need to add it to my list of things to try!

Victoria said...

"Just us parties" sounds like my kind of parties :) and that chocolate fondue looks yumi!

Barbara said...

What a great idea to have a family fondue party. Looks like you all had great fun. Love the idea for the potions too. I'll have to put together a little basket of bottles for next to the outdoor tap. The children here love to concoct stuff in the garden too, water (of course) some earth, grass, petals and lots of stirring. Sometimes I'm offered cups of it too! Much more fun than the sand pit I can tell you.

j o n i said...

oh my goodness, that looks absolutely fantastic! i LOVE fondue. That recipe is going down in the recipe binder.

Denise C. said...

I am intrigued! I've never had fondue. It looks DIVINE! :)

Caroline said...

Your cheese fondue sounds delicious! Thank you for posting the recipe.

Its_Lily said...

What a wonderful evening for you - to have the whole family together for a party. Now that's a way to soothe the soul after such a busy week.

Rachael said...

What fun. Come on SUMMER!!!