Thursday, June 26, 2014

beach day

Working on a castle. Carpinteria. Carpinteria.

I'm not quite ready to give up my blog.  I've been struggling with posting.  I want to give this one last try by really simplifying things here.  I'm going to limit myself to posting only 1-3 photos per post.  That in itself is a big relief.  And I'm going to just post random stuff.  What appeals to me about continuing the blog is the journal aspect of it.  I love the memories and family photos.  My blog is the closest I have to a family album.  I hate to give up the documenting of all of that. 

We are on summer break now.  The first week we spent in Palm Springs--we had the funnest vacation--Ken and I and the two little boys.  I love a true "resort" type vacation.  Maybe I'll blog about it tomorrow (posting only 1-3 photos!  LOL).  Now were are back and settling into summer.  It's actually a harder transition than one might expect.  I thrive so well with structure and a schedule.  I love my ordinary day of commuting, working, coming home and making dinner, having pizza on Tuesdays.  I'm sort of at loose ends without that.  But yesterday was a better day and maybe I'm starting to hit my stride.  I took the boys to the beach in Carpinteria.  I kept the outing so simple and it turned out to be a great afternoon.  The boys were so good and barely fought and they even carried all our stuff down to the beach for me.  Dieter loves to jump in the waves and sit and think.  Rainer likes the waves too and he spent a long time working on a big sand castle complex.  I gathered rocks for him and placed them around the castle, which was awesome.  I love the sound of the waves so much and I love getting out of my head a little bit while being there. 

Also of note, I'm getting so so much better at driving the "mountain route" to Carpinteria, which is making me very happy.  I used to stick to the main highways, but I'm finding I love taking the mountain pass.  I like to take the curvy roads pretty conservatively, and yesterday I had plenty of practice with pulling over to let cars pass me. 

I'm thinking I want to take the boys to the beach twice a week in summer.  It's good for my soul.  We got a tiny bit sunburned yesterday (mostly me) so I'm vowing to be more careful re. sunscreen in the future.

I'm off to yoga right now--also a healthy summer thing. 

8 comments:

Annette said...

I hope you don't give up blogging. I've been following your blog for years, and I've added celebrating the change in seasons to my family life too, although I'm not sure if you still do that? Of course my kids are all 5 and under which I believe was closer to what your younger ones were when I started following you. I'm sure that changes things. We're one month into school being out and finally hitting our stride.

Unknown said...

I was happy to see your post, I have been wondering how you were doing. I always enjoy your writing. Maybe you could do your dreamy/practical weekend posts again every now and then?

Happy summer vacation! You seem to have such a long summer break over there, my kids (in the Netherlands) are only free for 6 weeks. Still one more week to go, and starting again on August 18. Let's hope the weather is good....

Anonymous said...

It is hard to get into the summer vibe, isn't it? Even when we crave it. I hope you keep posting :)

Kristin

Mary Beth said...

Hi Annette, Saartje and Kristen--
Thanks so much, all of you, for chiming in here. I'm happy to see you are sticking with me. Kristen--exactly--the difficulty of adjusting to summer "even when we crave it"--so true! I can say the last couple days were good so hopefully I'm settling in.

Stephanie said...

It's good to hear from you. :) I was so out of touch with my blog and was missing it for the same reasons as you. It is my only journal. I am trying to write a bit about our days this summer, very simple...mostly no photos. :) Pretty boring to everyone else but priceless to future me. Happy summer!

Nicole Vangen said...

Hello Sweet Mama, it has been awhile since I visited and it was such a beautiful visit. Keep blogging, it is such a wonderful gift that we give to ourselves.

Much love to you, Nicole

Madame Melville said...

I too hope you don't give up your blog, but I know it can be hard to maintain. I abandoned mine, but I do miss the documenting/journaling aspect as you mentioned. Summer is a good time to get inspired and get back into it (:

Gift of Green said...

So glad you're posting - even if it's just a little bit. As a teacher I have a couple of "transition" weeks as well. I get anxious not having a "plan" even though I look forward to the days of not having one all school year! It time we establish new routines and then we are loathe to give them up in September. About the children - isn't it incredible how they are changing and growing? My kids are often so helpful, not just in deed but in advice. Makes me a little teary sometimes! Happy summer, Mary Beth!