Sunday, September 1, 2013

labor day weekend

at the beach

We did a little Carpinteria trip today. How I love family beach days!  It was hot and crowded but we didn't mind.  We stopped at Crushcakes first for lunch.  The boys played so happily for so long today.  They spent a lot of time in the waves, jumping around and boogie boarding with Ken.  When they finally came in from the water they were so happy playing in the sand.  Our boys typically have a lot of little conflicts throughout each day, but they were so happy and conflict free while at the beach.  The beach is so magic.  I read recently that a parent's happiest years are when the children are between 6 and 12 years of age.  It makes a lot of sense--once the kids are much more independent and able to do fun things and don't require such constant interaction and supervision things just get easier.  It's a magical time.  I'm loving these boys at these ages.

We started school this past week.  I'm so stressed out!  I'm happy to say the boys had a good start to the year.  They are both happy with their teachers.  I'm thinking it will be a good year for them both.  For me too, I hope.  I just want to put my head down and work really hard and do the absolute best job I can when it comes to taking care of the kids in my school, especially the most medically fragile, and not pay attention so much to other stress and bad feelings.  I want to do a very good job at my job and also be so aware and so grateful for my sweet family and all the happy things that are real and true. 

I have this notion that it would be good for me to get back to blogging here a bit more.  I think it helps keep me balanced and helps me see in a concrete way all the good things in my life.  I have a few more trips I'd love to post here--Disneyland, a little trip to Santa Barbara, the Santa Monica Pier, and even our spring break last year to Santa Cruz (long overdue, but I loved that trip).

I'm feeling so grateful for the extra day this weekend!  We're planning a picnic in the mountains.  Another nature-oriented day sounds like just the perfect thing right now.  Nature is so healing, yes?




2 comments:

Sarah said...

I love Carpentria, shortly after TJ and I graduated college a close friend got married there - it is still a lovely trip we think fondly about and hope to return to someday.
As for right now, we're up to our ears trying to get ready for the school year. We feel pretty thankful that the school the boys attend has a full time nurse, well actually two a LPN every day and an RN once a week. I know all will be fine eventually, but the details are overwhelming especially when there isn't always concrete answers when working with t1d and young kiddos. I am glad your school has you. They are lucky.
Take care and please know that I never think other medical conditions are "easier" than others. I think we all have so much going on, multiple "invisible illnesses," that I try to approach each situation with humor and compassion, rather than fear and anxiety. Try is the key word :)
Enjoy these first weeks of school firsts. It is going to be a great year for the boys, yours and mine, I just know it!

Gabi said...

So good to see you back here! Good luck for your boys that they are happy at school, we do start school next week, I wonder what things will be like this year.
I started to work again today and, just like you, I am determined to do my very best at work.
Looking forward to the pictures from your day-trips, browsing your blog and the beautiful photos is always like a mini-vacation to me :-)
A picknick in the montains sounds like heaven to me, must do some planning for this weekend to get my family outside!