Monday, November 12, 2012

biscotti!

317 :: at Crushcakes Biscotti (latergram).

The kids and I were in Santa Barbara today and I had the most delicious biscotti.* The cashier told me it was a coconut biscotti. It didn't taste overtly coconutty--just crunchy and flavorful and delish.

It gave me an idea--wouldn't biscotti be such a lovely holiday gift? It's meant to be hard and crunchy so there would not be as much concern with having be at the peak of freshness like with a softer cookie. And, I think, a dry, minimally sweet biscotti would be such a nice counterpoint to the super-sweet goodies that normally go around at Christmas.

Now I'm totally excited to research it and look up recipes. I remember Angry Chicken posting a biscotti recipe awhile back that she said she loved. I'll look that up first. I also have a number of cookbooks with pretty biscottis. The only time I've tried to make it was years ago (Jacob was a baby--so 20+ years ago) and that time they crumbled and fell apart and were a huge disappointment. I think enough time has passed that I'm ready to try again. ;)

Have you ever made biscotti? How did it turn out?

*My no-sugar experiment is winding down. I'll report my impressions later this week. I've learned a lot.

3 comments:

Karen said...

I've done biscotti as Christmas gifts before--packaged in pretty cellophane bags placed in an expensive coffee mug. They were cute and people seemed to like them.

Kelly and Kelly said...

I've made this one over and over:

http://www.gypsyforest.com/welcome_to_gypsy_forest/2011/01/monday-bites-chocolate-biscotti.html

I get asked for the recipe constantly too. It's super good.

Martha said...

My favorite biscotti recipe is from Cooking Light magazine and is called Coconut Biscotti. I make them every year for Christmas presents. Sometime I dunk one size of the biscotti in a dark chocolate, glaze. They are really good! Recipe can be found here: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/coconut-biscotti-10000001041878/