Monday, July 2, 2012

bag with a huge red heart

bag with a huge red heart

I had the idea to make a bag with a huge red heart to carry around in summer.  Happily, I was able to see this idea through to completion! I used heavyweight canvas for this and put in large gussets in the bottom--it basically stands alone. I used felt for the heart. I was so surprised to find 100% wool felt at my local Ben Franklin (the only store in town for sewing supplies). Turns out, this is meant for needle felting so the felt is super duper thick. I have no idea how it will hold up over time. I tried to stabilize the whole heart with fusible webbing, but it barely stuck to the wool, so it's not really so stabilized after all. I zigzagged around the edges.
phone pocket inside the bag

Here is what the phone pocket looks like on the inside.
  monday 7/2

Bags are maybe my favorite things to make--so easy and functional.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

I love it! It's simple and fun. Bags are an odd favorite of mine, the weird part is that I don't use them because I haven't figured out how to add a pocket that is insulated enough for diabetes supplies. My recent favorite "bag" (errrr...more so purse) that I made is the buttercup bag, quick and fun though a bit small so I am going to try to do another one twice the size and search out some type of insulating material. Any ideas?

Jules said...

I love this! It looks so joyful! I too like to make bags but then find I don't use them much. I think I need a huge one for diabetes supplies, snacks, juice, water bottle etc. And like Sarah above mine mght well benefit from some kind of insulating material, though it's not often that hot here in England.

Heather said...

Oh Mary Beth, it's adorable! What a fun bag for the summer. I have a few totes that I've received as give-aways (with logos and such on them). This would be a great idea to cover up the parts I don't want to see - thanks for the inspiration!

Mary Beth said...

Thanks, ladies.

Sarah and Muffinmoon-- I too have been wanting to make an insulated bag for Klean Kanteens and such. I'm going to try lining a bag with Insulbrite and batting. Find Insulbrite at the fabric store with the battings. Good luck!

Heather-- repurposing old bags is a great idea. I'll keep that in mind.

Jennifer said...

Love the bag! It looks great in your outfit photo. I wish I had a studio where I could keep my sewing machine out. Thanks for the inspiration!