Thursday, January 26, 2012

we made healthy bars

we made healthy bars


honest pretzels

We made a healthy bar recipe over the weekend. These are the "smart cookies" from Honest Pretzels (such an adorable book--we keep coming back to this one). These are a healthy, minimally sweet bar with oats, wheat germ, applesauce and dried fruit and nuts. I made them to put into the boys lunches as their snack. They are good for a healthy treat. I posted the recipe a while back--here--if you'd like to try them (scroll down to the very end of the post. The other cookies in that post are excellent too. We made some over Christmas and loved them.)

I'd love it if you linked me to your favorite granola bar recipe if you have one. My favorite is still this.

7 comments:

Hannah Joy said...

I would like to make those! Thanks so much for the recommendation and the recipe!

Andrea said...

Mmm, I'll have to try these out. I made some no-bake bars last week with puffed quinoa, almond butter, honey, pumpkin seeds and cranberries, but only one out of three kids liked them, so back to the drawing board (I really find making school lunches a demoralizing activity).

Melissa Nichols said...

We need to get our copy out and try that one, they sound great!

Heather said...

I love a good no bake bar, makes life easy and always feel a bit healthier :)

Adrienne said...

http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/09/granola-bars/ These are delish and so are these... http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/02/thick-chewy-granola-bars/

I have also been making a variety of Lara Bar recipes I found online. I keep them in the freezer. These are the best!

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookie
Makes 2-3 bars
■1/2 cup dates
■1/4 cup cashews
■2 tablespoons peanut butter
■1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
■1/2 cup rolled oats
■plastic wrap

Lay out three pieces of plastic wrap, each about the size of a half sheet of paper.
Combine all ingredients except the oats in the food processor. Process about 2 1/2 minutes.
Add in the oats and pulse 4-5 times.
Form the dough into bars and wrap each bar in a piece of plastic wrap. Store in the fridge.

Elodie said...

I made Hugh FW's Peanut Butter Breakfast Bars today from River Cottage Every Day.They were lovely,kind of slightly salty.You can put what you like in re fruit and seeds so I put in chopped apricots as my 3 are off all brown dried fruit!

Mary Beth said...

Elodie--I'll have to look that one up online . . .

Adrienne--those sound great. Thank you so much!