Monday, January 30, 2012

rainer update

I took a day off from work today so we could take Rainer to UCLA for a surgical consult. It was difficult getting down there. The traffic was terrible and we were so glad we don't have to take that commute regularly for medical care (as many do). And when we got to where we needed to be, we were shocked at the crowds, the long wait, and the impersonalness of it. I found out later that Ken and I were both thinking the same thing at that point--"maybe we should just take him to Stanford for specialized medical treatments" (which is much much farther away, but feels like it would be nicer). But finally we got to meet the pediatric interventional cardiologist and we got to talk to him and ask our questions. We liked him. He assured us that Rainer is in very good hands at UCLA and that the interventional radiologist that would also be involved is world renowned. After the consult Rainer got some more tests and then we were released back into the world (so happy).

We celebrated with a long late lunch at the Cheesecake Factory in Brentwood. It was 2:30pm by that time so very quiet and uncrowded in the restaurant, just how we like it. Rainer was totally loving his strawberry lemonade and cheese pizza. It was really fun to hang out with just one kiddo for a change (I'd love for us to whisk Dieter away for some special mama and daddy time some time as well).

In other news, I was very interested to notice a Drybar just a few doors down from the Cheesecake Factory (which I first read about here). Would love to have a blowout there if we ever are in that neck of the woods again!


at cheesecake factory
{at cheesecake factory}

at cheesecake factory
{crazy cheesecake}


6 comments:

Diane said...

I'm really sorry to hear that Rainer's having medical problems and I hope his treatment goes well. I'm glad you were able to turn the trip into something fun!

Elodie said...

So pleased you feel more reassured and you're nearly at the end of it all.Over here in the UK we only have the NHS and being free it lacks frills,you often have to wait and it can be a bit manic but the care I've always had for everything has been fantastic and I couldn't fault it.

You'll have to go on a big trip to celebrate when this last bit is done.I love having the dc alone and keep trying to work out how to do it more as I think they really benefit.

That breakfast bar recipe is on the River Cottage site-think it's breakfast booster bars.The RC Veg book I'd highly recommend along with the Every Day book.Only just started working through them.

valérie said...

Too bad for the long waiting line and impersonal atmosphere, but so happy to hear your darling boy is in good hands! That's so reassuring, isn't it?
I like your blog because it is all so natural and simple, in a very good way. No staging, no bragging, no idealized setting, and still so friendly and beautiful! :)

Faith said...

That picture of ken and Rainer is adorable. I really want some cheesecake factory. I'm always very hungry when I read the blog.
Love faithy

likeschocolate said...

I hope the test bring good news.

Mary Beth said...

Thanks so much, everyone.

Elodie--thanks! Now I know where to look. I really want to try that one. I'll have to "pin" it so I don't forget. Also, I really appreciate your thoughts about the NHS. It makes me remember that even with the crowds/long waits/impersonalness, it doesn't mean the care will be sub-par. We are actually really impressed with the doctor and he has already called us 3 times at home, just when he said he was going to.

Valerie--what a truly sweet and meaningful comment. I love hearing that.

Faith--hi honey! It is always so nice to hear from you on the blog!