Thursday, December 30, 2010

new year's eve preparations

We're getting ready for New Year's eve. I've done a good pre-New Year's tidy up (or at least as much as I'm going to do for now) and I'm planning our little family party. We're still trying to come up with traditions for New Year's eve, but last year's party was pretty fun and I think we're basically going to duplicate that.
I looked up what we made last year and shopped tonight so we can duplicate the menu. Here's what we're having--

:: cheese ball with an assortment of crackers
:: crudites
:: hot Mexican dip and chips
:: Babaloo chicken wings
:: guacamole
:: peppermint bark (I have the ingredients for this and still haven't made it this season. Hopefully I'll get around to it).
:: sparkling cider

Here's the recipe for the chicken wings. They were a big hit last year. I clipped this recipe from a parenting magazine years ago, when Jacob was still a toddler. I've rarely made it, but last year something made me remember it, and it was really good.

Babaloo Chicken Wings

1 package chicken wing drumettes (aka "party wings")
2 T. soy sauce
2 T. sesame oil (or just use regular oil)
2 T. orange juice
1 T. honey

1. Heat oven to 425.
2. Combine the marinade ingredients (soy sauce through honey) and pour over the chicken wings in a glass bowl. Marinate for 1 hour.
3. Place wings in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake 30 minutes, turning occasionally.
4. Set oven to broil. Broil 4 or 5 minutes, turning occasionally, until evenly browned.
5. Wings may be eaten hot, cold, or at room temp.

What are your plans for the evening?

2 comments:

Its_Lily said...

Oh, I'm doing what I love best and heading out for the woods. We have plans to hike into a rustic cabin for the weekend. It has a bed, table and chairs, and a woodstove. The rest must be backpacked in by us and that, my dear, is my idea of bliss! Did I mention it's right on the shore of Lake Michigan? Happy New Year. May it be full of new adventures.

Mary Beth said...

Oh, Lily, that sounds fantastic! Have a wonderful trip and happy new year!