Monday, December 27, 2010

holiday handmades

One of my happiest Christmas preparations by far was making some sweet handmades for my children. I had ordered them a big house (a "gnome house" as we call it), and I knew I wanted to furnish it partly with mama-made gifts. Making these things was so so fun and exactly the type of quiet preparation for the holidays that captures my heart and imagination.

Above are a pile of felt rocks (like these, but crisper--with the blanket stitch done correctly this time--and some with real wool felt), a stump, and four knitted "gnomey blankets."


And I also wanted to make a rainbow of gnomes to live in the house (inspired by Ella's gnome rainbows that she does). For these I had mostly wool felt, which was marvelous to work with. I stitched them all down their backs with blanket stitch and it was meditative and soothing. I'm so thankful for the studio time I had to work on these gifts.




10 comments:

Holly C. said...

Adorable and so fun!

kera said...

I LOVE THIS!!! Your gnomes and the rocks....beautiful! I'm sure your boys LOVED it!! We mostly homemade stuff this year and it just felt simple and good!

april said...

dear mary beth, i waited for this post ;-) i was really curious when you wrote some days ago about the gnomes...and now: wonderful. it's such a good idea. i love handmade gifts and i love especially gnomes and all kind of little things and houses. wish you magic days between the years. i'm always so happy and inspired by your posts. thankyou!

Its_Lily said...

I love the addition of your own handmades. These will be keepers for sure. Well done!

Jessica said...

What beautiful and loving gifts! I adore those animal cozies!!!

coloring in my life said...

such lovely handmades!

Lia said...

Your "gnome house" is so sweet Beth. Those little rocks and blankets will be well loved, I can tell.

Andrea said...

Super cute. I'm thinking about stealing the rainbow gnome idea.

heather said...

i meant to say something last time i was here about this post. i am in love with the blankets you knit up and the rocks all covered so perfectly. and the rainbow gnomes. sososososo inspiring. i just wanta wanta sit and sew on rocks and knit tiny blankets. oh that sounds so therapeutic.

Mary Beth said...

Oh it is, Heather, it really is! Highly recommended! So peaceful.