Wednesday, December 1, 2010

fun play capes

Ever since I made a black cape for Dieter's Harry Potter costume, he's been wearing it around the house almost daily. All that cape wearing generated a lot of interest in his brother and even his big sister! So I made two more capes. Don't these boys look like little Jedi?
These were fun, easy, and fast. The only change I made this time around was to cut the hood way down to size. I used this tutorial to figure out how to construct the hood. This is not a truly finished or professional garment, but for dress up play, it's just the thing!
Even Faith wanted in on the fun. For hers, I had to use the full length of the fabric as the width, to add more fullness. I also "finished" the neck seam a little with some pretty ribbon. These would make great kids' Christmas gifts--so fast and such a lot of play value.

6 comments:

Joy said...

How fun! They look wonderful, Mary Beth! I'm sure the boys will enjoy those to no end. :)

PS. If you're interested, I have a tomten giveaway right now. :)
http://www.anartfamily.com/2010/12/tomten-double-giveaway.html

Andrea said...

Super cute!

Anonymous said...

Great! I have twins and one year for their bday we had a 'cape' party. I made shiny pink/purple for girls and wrote Princess NAME on each and for boys blue/red and we did super hero names like Awesome Andrew, etc. Craft was to decorate w/ gems & stickers...huge hit!! Your boys will have fun for a long time to come with their little capes!!!

Hannah said...

How fun! Dress up capes get a lot of use in our house.

saraelise said...

The capes are so great and FUN!!

Maiz Connolly said...

Even though we already had a lot of small capes in our house, I made a big, heavy black one with a special collar for Diego's Dracula costume. I can't believe how much that has been used since Halloween, for Batman, Harry Potter, vampires, and more. Capes are the BEST!