Tuesday, December 14, 2010

december afternoon

On the weekend here it was sunny. It was sunny and warm. It was sunny and warm and in the 80's. What the freak?

I have a strong desire to experience the rhythm of four seasons. I'm from California and not expecting snow, but 80 degree days in December really annoy me. I realized recently that I spend a LOT of time either being happy if I feel the weather is seasonal or complaining inwardly if it is not. I just want four seasons. My goal, though, is to self-actualize to the point where I am happy no matter the weather. I want to be one of those sunny dispositioned people who goes with the flow.
And look how beautiful this is! Faith and I took the boys to the park and we had the place to ourselves. It was cooling off a bit by that point and I set up a little knitting spot for myself while Faith played with the boys. The breeze came through and there was a huge shower of golden leaves falling. So very pretty! It's hard to be mad at the weather when you are seeing a show like that and sitting in a carpet of golden leaves. I think I'm making progress in my goal.
Dieter learned to pump his legs in the swing that day--so he can swing himself now. Such a milestone. Rainer is still working on it. Faith and I talked about the skirt on the cover of this knitting book. How it would make a lovely wedding skirt for her one day. I promised to make it for her when she gets engaged. Hopefully by that time I'll be more advanced in my knitting.

It turned out to be a lovely afternoon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've seen that knitting book at the library and it is so gorgeous!

Andrea Wilson said...

I just had to comment on your feelings about the four seasons, as they echoed mine. I too am a native CA (Los Angeles) girl. Having spent my first 43 years there until almost a year ago, we relocated to Cape Cod for my husband's job. Talk about a change in the weather! I felt exactly like you during the fall/winter in LA when the days would suddenly get very hot. It would make me feel very annoyed and out of balance. Some of the native new england folks I talk to think we are crazy for trading the so CA weather for the weather here! I am enjoying the change, being able to wear sweaters and hats and really feel it is winter. Though, the humidity in the summer is certainly not as welcomed. I love reading your blog and checking in for a good dose of California living. I certainly miss our citrus trees and year round garden :(. Happy holidays to you and your family!

Its_Lily said...

We'll be lucky to hit 20 degrees this week, but I'm not complaining because I know what you mean about wanting the weather to match to season. If it's winter it ought to be darned cold and snowy. Bring it!

Karen said...

I know what you mean! I would really miss our four seasons and I love snow in winter! But - we have too much now...
Wanna see some snow? Visit my blog!
Schools will be closed tomorrow, schoolbuses won't work, driving is nearly impossible and more snow will come over night.

Take care! Greetings from Germany!