Sunday, November 14, 2010

soup party!

{Ken designed the invitations}
Our popsicle party was such a surprise success (or at least I was surprised by its success) that we decided to throw a soup party for fall. We invited families with children from our street and nearby. A small-ish but very nice group showed up--about 4 families plus our own.

The trampoline is the main attraction for any kids who come to our house. But we wanted to have a few fall-ish activities too. So we set up a little table for leaf rubbings . . .
and a nut cracking activity . . .
and of course the soups. I made a vegetarian chili (I adapted it a little bit for fall by subbing butternut squash for the summer squash and corn) and a yummy beef and vegetable soup. I also served some homemade bread and cookies and brownies for dessert. The beef-vegetable soup was especially loved by all, so I was glad I had made that. I had in mind a really informal party where people could just walk around with a healthy bowl of soup and that is exactly how it played out. We started at 3:30 and served the soup about 4:20. I think it was nice to have an early evening and no one had to think about dinner when they got home.
I'm enjoying getting to know the neighbors a bit better and the little boys love these parties, so it's good for them to. I've had a sense lately that I want to put myself "out there" just a little more than I am naturally inclined to do. I love the idea of a seasonal neighborhood party, so will probably be planning a winter-themed party in a couple months.

Thank you so much to all of you who left such sweet comments on my last few posts! You guys are awesome. I seriously wish you all could come for a seasonal party every now and again! If you asked a question and I haven't answered it yet, it's just an oversight. Please ask again if you are wondering anything. I still haven't developed a good routine for answering comments.

16 comments:

Sarah said...

what a nice idea...it's wonderful that your husband wants to do those get together's also. What a treat!

Sarah said...

Love the idea of a soup party bringing people together x

Anonymous said...

love this (and jealous you can do it outside)! we are doing soup for my husband's birthday party this weekend. seems like an appropriate thing for this time of year.

Daniela B. said...

I love soups so it would be nice to have a party like this one, wonderful idea Mary Beth!The invitations made by Ken are very nice, too.
Hugs :-)

Kaylovesvintage said...

wonderful idea

Andrea said...

What a great idea--looks fun (and an outdoor dinner party in November! How great is that?)

saraelise said...

What a fun party idea! And I love the invitations. :)

Sunshine Alternative Mama said...

How wonderful! I thought of you this weekend as I had to travel to Ventura and Santa Paula (how funny to think of those we only know through blogs). My grandmother had a stroke and we went to the hospital and then moved her to my sister's for hospice. I have to say that I don't think I've ever actually stopped the car in Ventura as an adult, and that area is oh so lovely. Despite the sadness right now the view of the ocean was a wonderful calming presence for me. I came home for my boys and we will all three go back tonight or tomorrow depending on her condition.

And we ate at The Habit because you recommended it. Yum! I think that was the last full meal that I ate or enjoyed.

JIW said...

What a lovely, lovely idea! I love reading about your seasonal celebrations. I've recently moved and have mostly kept to myself. Afraid that the boxes still waiting to be unpacked, the dog hair on the couch, the bathroom that needs to be painted would make me look...lazy or unmotivated or less "together" than I hope to appear. Your ideas are inspiring me to be a bit more brave about it all - to get out there more and be less self conscious of the cosmetic needs of my new house. Thank you!

Kelly said...

Such a fabulous idea! Putting yourself out there can be so hard ~ awesome you are doing it and brightening your little corner of the world :)

Mary Beth said...

Sunshine Alternative Mama--I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother. Hang in there. I'm glad you at least enjoyed your meal at the Habit . . . and the ocean is so healing.

JIW and Woodsprite Mama--exactly! If I waited to be truly brave or to feel completely confident about my house I'd never do it! But I want to do it so I forged ahead, with much help and support from Ken. It feels good.

hanna said...

what a lovely idea, I think it's so brave of you to invite your neighbours over for a gathering, I think I'm too shy :)

Anonymous said...

Oh I wish I was your neighbour!! Lol:) Looks like a lovely way to get to know people. I have enjoyed catching up on your las few posts, very busy at your place by the looks!

BellaBree said...

how wonderful - yay you guys....often surprising what little gems live just next door...

Kataroo said...

I just spent an hour reading through your blog....SO COMFY AND COZY AND HOMEY!! Thank-you :) I thoroughly enjoyed that :)

Elizabeth said...

What a wonderful idea! Would you mind sharing the recipe for the beef vegetable soup--it looks delicious!