Sunday, September 19, 2010

more corners of my home

I freshened up some of the 'corners of my home' today. First was the mantle. I got a new print that I am loving so much (I am a spending freeze failure at the moment, but vow to go back on!). Anyway, when I saw this print I had a very strong emotional response to it and just had to click through and order it. It is from here.
I also changed some other things around. That mantle clock was made by Jacob in eighth grade woodshop. It gives me a very warm feeling, knowing that he made it.
Also, I rotated in my favorite piece of children's art ever--those funny red cats, also by Jacob, grade four or five. Love love love. That squirrel nutcracker is from my mom's house a couple years ago. I only get it out in fall and I will buy the children some nuts to crack in it.
Other corners: we got out the autumn books and rotated the summer ones out.
And I changed the nature table a bit. We are waiting for the leaves and acorns to start falling so we can add those.
And this is not exactly a corner, but I couldn't help but photograph the boys coloring. They spent nearly the whole weekend doing so and were enthralled. Dieter and I picked up some coloring books Friday afternoon and they have been loving them all weekend. So fun. I'm not anti-coloring book.When coloring, although they are not creating their own drawings, at least they are producing not consuming and learning their way around the art supplies. I think it's good.

16 comments:

Joy said...

Thanks for sharing this. I love the new print you bought. I'm doing badly on my spending freeze lately too, although happily, my un-freeze money went toward vintage pyrex. The mantle clock is so beautiful. I'd treasure that as well...very special! Finn and I rotated in the autumn books this weekend as well and he was so overjoyed to find some old favorites. This is the first season (at 3.75 years) that I think he remembered books from the year before. :) The squirrel nutcracker is adorable. We have a squirrel nutcracker too, but it's Crate and Barrel and only about 8 years old instead of being vintage-y and cute like that one!

Denise C. said...

So sweet! I had that same green pitcher (both the big & small one), unfortunately both broke. :(

I love, love, love the art caddy you have for your boys. Where did you find it?

I think it's so sentimental that you have art work from your bigger kids. I plan to do the same thing with my kids. :)

Anonymous said...

I love your new print. Lovely sentiments and cool style. I enjoy the little peeks into corners of your home and always hope to see the treasure print. Whom is it by and where did you get it?
My boys and I are working to get our fall nature table ready. There are little gathered piles of acorns, twigs and leaves at the ready.
Becky

Lisa Renata said...

Please don't remind me. I get so sad every time I think of fall and "nuts". I use to love sitting cross legged watching my favorite show and cracking away- eating some delicious nuts. *sigh* Now I can only dream of doing that for my little guy is highly allergic to them, as he is to peanuts and shell fish.

Tam said...

love the labelling of the autumn basket

Erin {pughs' news} said...

Yay! The Aardvark Manifesto! I've got that print too.

Mary Beth said...

Denise C.--I got the little art caddy at Magic Cabin. I've definitely seen it around the internet, though. Maybe at Rosie Hippo or Wooden Wagon? (Those are other places I shop). Should be easy to find! We do use it all the time, so I think it was worth it.

Sarah said...

I love that your boys are so content to color. Do you find that they prefer crayons that aren't the typical shape? I've been thinking of making some of our own, but don't know how that will go over...have you guys ever done that?

tiina { sparkling ink } said...

Just started to read your blog. I'm so inspired by your creativity!

Joy said...

@Denise C, they also sell the art caddy at A Toy Garden, which is where our's came from. ;)

Ronnie said...

thanks for sharing some of your beautiful home. I especially love the puzzle beside the book basket. I would love something like this one day but imagine that i would spend a bit of time retriving the pieces from around the house. Mary Beth would you mind sharing the title of your Autumn books? I am slowly building my collection(95% thrifted) but it is a long term project.

Thanks

Andrea said...

Lovely...I love the framed red cats! Kid art is so fantastic. I hope to get our autum decorations up this weekend (we still have eggs on our mantle from spring...)

Erin said...

Mary Beth-
What is the colored triangle block game you have sitting on the end of the table? My daughter is turning 4 in October and I'm looking for good open ended items for her. Thanks!

Ella said...

That is such a lovely print Mary Beth, I am very tempted to buy it!

Samantha S said...

I love seeing pictures of your beautiful home, they make me feel happy! Everything always looks peaceful & calm.

Adrie said...

That nutcracker is amazing! How great. Wonderful way to welcome fall. Just wanted to say that I'm enjoying your space here so much - thanks for all the goodness.