Monday, September 6, 2010

late summer bag


I finished my new bag this weekend. Oh, how I love the sense of accomplishment that finishing a sewing project brings. This is a slight variation on the mama bag from Handmade Home. My other mama bag has been such a big success, I wanted another for a more summery/early fall feel. This is made from a thifted piece of fabric (I think it was half a tablecloth) that I think has such a vintagey feel to it.
I added a top piece of dotted fabric (also thrifted) and some vintage buttons. I like the extra roominess that top piece provides. I added extra pockets in this one too. I find I really need them so as not to lose essential items in the bottom of the bag.
Modeling the new bag in the studio.
In other news, I got a haircut over the weekend (much needed!) and wore a new dress. And I twirled. And we went out for frozen yogurt as a family. And I took Jacob, my oldest, out to lunch, just him and me. And on Sunday I went to the zoo with all four of the children I gave birth to (my "loin fruit" as Faith insists on calling herself and brothers!), plus I went to Trader Joe's with all of them as well, and they all selected bottled smoothies, and that night we had cheese fondue--all 7 of us, together as a family. And I harvested tomatoes and squash from the garden. And I knit two long rows. That was a lovely long weekend.

20 comments:

Sarah said...

loin fruit...nice...she sounds like a spit fire that would sure be fun. Sounds like a fantastic weekend. I love the bag, too.

Holly C. said...

Love your bag and your hair. You look great!

MadameRenard said...

oh, the bag is lovely!
I like also that it's made from thrifted and vintage supplies. it makes it precious at my eyes!
Bye

Bec said...

You twirled!! I love that, so cute and fun! Sounds like an absolutely fantastic weekend! I laughed out loud at 'loin fruit'.

Alison said...

That dress is fabulous! I want one :D

Rain said...

Love the bag! And those red shoes! Sounds like you had a fabulous weekend.

Elisa said...

So pretty (the bag & the dress)!

Mary Beth said...

Thanks everyone!

Holly C.--my hair _only_ looks that good right after the hairstylist blows it dry. Alas, it will revert back to its natural texture as soon as I wash it :( But I do enjoy it while it lasts.

kristen said...

Love the bag, love your hair and dress and your weekend sounds like it couldn't have been any better! Lovely post!

Once Upon A Parent said...

Wow don't you look great with the new haircut, twirly dress, and new bag. What a fun weekend. It sounds like great family time.

Kelly and Kelly said...

your weekend sounds fabulous. and your haircut is so cute!

love the bag, great job!

Laura said...

I am in love with your new bag! Your haircut is beautiful! Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend. Thanks for such a happy, feel-good post!

Karen said...

wonderful, all of it, MB!!! love the bag!! does anyone call you "M B"? one of my very best friends in the world is a marybeth, and that's what i call her. i finally got back to trader joe's too ... long romantic weekend in chicago with the boyf!

Joy said...

The bag is amazing! It definitely has a great vintage feel. You did a great job. :) It sounds like a perfect weekend. My "loin fruit" and I also went to the zoo this weekend then were joined by the boys for dinner. :) I sometimes find it tricky to balance doing "fun" things with just part of the group, but since everyone's not hear all the time, I just do what I can. Have a great week, Mary Beth!

Mary Beth said...

Karen--yes! Some people do call me MB! And I'm happy for your romantic weekend. Hooray!

Helen Gillis said...

Love your bag - looks great with your dress - Happy Birthday. I read your blog frequently, and am always inspired by you.

Helen in Malden, Massachusetts

Heather said...

Mary Beth, I LOVE what you did with the straps on the Mama Bag, just perfect. What a great way to celebrate the end of the season

Adrie said...

Love the bag!

Nicola (Which Name?) said...

You are beautiful! Look at you! And I love your twist on the mamma bag! I made one over a year ago and like it, but I love your button detail!
Nicola

Mary Beth said...

Thank you, Nicola! You are very sweet!