Thursday, July 23, 2009

eating lately

How nice it is to have a blog on which to post my food pictures! I bought some King Arthur "white whole wheat" and tried it in this bread (half unbleached all-purpose and half whole wheat). Yummy.

Made zucchini quesadillas last night. I loved them, the kids did not, alas. Used this recipe as a guide.
Tomatoes and cucumbers from our very own garden (and nectarines and plums and of course the zucchini is home grown too, and some yellow squash too).
The pumpkin bread I mentioned yesterday. Will be trying this soon with all whole wheat and succanat instead of sugar.
Pumpkin butter--take the leftover canned pumpkin from making the bread, stir in a little apple juice and spices (cinnamon, ginger and cloves, I think are what I used) and cook it down for 15 minutes on the stovetop. A pumpkin explosion in your mouth.
More homemade yogurt, this time using Hanna's recipe. It's wonderful, and no monitoring of temperatures in involved. I do think I overheated this, though, using my heating pad method (and that is why it is sort of "soft set"??) so next time I will use Hanna's suggestion of putting it in the the closet with the hot water heater.

9 comments:

Samantha S said...

Your food looks delicious, I would love to try growing my own.

hanna said...

oh yay for the homemade yoghurt. You know how I said this recipe never fails... well my sister made it this week and it didn't set! She said her hot water cupboard is very cool though and it is winter over here - so she popped it in the oven on a really low temp which did the trick. So if you do the cupboard method, just make sure your cupboard is a warm one and wrap it snugly in a big wool blanket.
Love your food photos by the way!
xx
Hanna

Unknown said...

Love the simple, lovely way you enjoy food.

Jessica said...

I'm searching high and low for pumpkin in my house to make pumpkin bread and pumpkin butter! Your meals are so wonderfully healthy, colorful, and intentional!

Denise C. said...

It's 4:30 a.m. and I am salivating over your food photos!

I love the little blue crock dish you have you butter in!

Joy said...

My kids weren't much for zucchini quesadillas the last time we tried them either. A couple of them did like black bean/avocado quesadillas though. We love pumpkin bread (or muffins) and pumpkin butter in this house. I make 18 pints or so of pumpkin butter every fall. Delicious! Your food always looks so wonderful. Thanks for sharing. :)

Its_Lily said...

I noticed this morning that the zucchini is in need of picking, which means zucchini bread for tonight. Oh yummmm. By the way, I would have cleaned up my plate for sure.

Julie said...

it all looks so fresh and delicious

Anonymous said...

Yum! Thanks for the zuchinni quesadilla recipe. Looks scrumptious! And the tomatoes... I had thee best home grown tomato last night (I know it was good when my non veggie eating husband woofed down most of it yesterday). lol.