Monday, February 2, 2009

a tea party and this week's cookie


The boys and I had a little tea party Sunday afternoon.

Before the naps, we worked on the cookies. We made the jam shortbread from Apples for Jam. It is the first recipe I've made from the book, and it did not disappoint. You are supposed to roll out the shortbread dough into a rectangle and fit it into your plan, spread a layer of not-too-sweet jam, then roll out the rest of the dough into a rectangle and fit that on top. As you can see, I opted for a freeform shape instead, and that worked out much better. Even at that, it was a bit challenging to transfer the dough to the pan--I ended up rolling it over the rolling pin and lifting it like that. It was kind of fun.
Here they are after baking. Yum! I used the blackberry jam from Ken's sister. Next time I'll use our own peach jam. I'm loving having lots of homemade jam around this winter. I considered using some of the strawberry freezer jam, but it's too runny, and maybe too sweet as well. The blackberry was perfect.
And now onto the tea party! After the nap, we decided to take advantage of the warm weather and move the party outdoors.
We used another one of Faith's old tea sets.


Faith even joined us for a little while. Dieter really enjoyed playing with the tea set this time.
Then he wanted to make a fairy house--his suggestion. Much fun was had by all. It was by far the most relaxing part of the day, even if it did make me late to get dinner started.

11 comments:

Kelli said...

I think this is one of my favorites of your posts. So sweet and wonderful. Relaxing. I might have to try those cookies. they look yummr.

Our Green Nest said...

Looks like so much fun! And the shortbread looks yummy.

Anonymous said...

I have been meaning to make those cookies since I got the book last christmas!!! I may just have to add it to todays list now:0)

Anonymous said...

backyard tea parties and fairy house building...sounds like a perfect day!

Anonymous said...

Such a delightful post! I like the first and last photo very much. I see your boys know all about fairy houses. So sweet.

Julie said...

Looks like a wonderful Sunday afternoon... and I love Faith's tea set!

Jessica said...

I love your tea parties! I've been eying that recipe for a while now. I am enjoying your cookie recipe of the week, too!

Celia said...

Oh, I liked your tea time s much. I think I'll have some this Sunday too with the kids!;
Fun!

stefana said...

I love your tea-party ideas. I have to try this up on our balcony - surely when it gets warmer here, a good few months from now.

Mozi Esme said...

I love this! We had a tea party last week but no cute tea sets to be had. It was fun, anyway...

dee said...

I want a tea party where I get to wear a striped onesy! How fun:)