Sunday, December 7, 2008

Baking Ahead

I'm thrilled to have 3 batches of Christmas cookies ready and frozen. Hooray! That is something I wanted to do last year and just didn't get around to. Now with the three batches I know we'd have cookies for the holidays, even if I don't do any more baking (although I do enjoy having more kinds if I can).
I've been reading so many wonderful thoughts about keeping Christmas simpler this year, thus making more room for joy (Rachel's post is one I keep turning over in my mind--so good. Also see Grace's post--love her). Baking is one of my "things," not an extra stress at all--but the timing needs to be right, especially with little ones in the house. Dieter adores helping out, so although that complicates it, it's also one of those "more joy" moments at the same time. Tonight we decorated the sugar cut-out cookies, and this is the first time Dieter was in on the decorating. What a hoot! Lots of piled up sprinkles, I assure you. I'm not sure how well those ones will dry . . .

Here is what he was wearing after going through some of the Christmas boxes with his Daddy. This is the tree skirt I made when I was in high school. Faith has always loved wearing it around the house as a skirt. Now she has competition for who gets to wear it! Looking good, Dieter!

9 comments:

ames said...

Ooh, those look so yummy! Hooray for prepping dough in advance, I love how it makes the total cleanup on baking day so much easier!

I managed to get three types of dough into my freezer before one came back out...then a lack of ginger set me back. Mmmm...cookies....

Anita Ann said...

Those cookies look delicious.

Our Green Nest said...

Yum! Congrats on getting some holiday baking done - that always feels nice, doesn't it?

Celia said...

How do you do it to keep the cookies from flattern while cooking in the oven? I would love to make cookies like those; so "ball" size, lol...
They look amazing with the cup in them!

Kelli said...

good for you for getting some baking in the freezer.

crunchy peas said...

how funny, we were doing some tree skirt twirling around here too!

a friend to knit with said...

oh! those look delicious!!!

i would love to wear that tree skirt too! so adorable.

Anonymous said...

Those cookies look delicious, please share how you made them.

Mary Beth said...

You can find the recipe here