Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Knitting Update

Hey, I finished a knitting project! And I'm pretty happy about it. Although I've knitted a simple square in the past, this is the first "real" project I've completed. It's not much more than a square, but it does have a decrease and some ribbing, so I'm feeling very proud and yes, inspired to keep knitting.
These are the slippers for Kris Percival's book Knitting Pretty. I have to say, they're a bit small on me (I should have made the larger size) and the stitches are kind of loose (because I can't stand tight knitting where it is a struggle to get the needle through each stitch, so I've trained myself to knit very loosely), but overall, I can wear them and I'm happy. I can imagine that it would be fun to make several pair of these for friends and so forth, but I'd rather move on to something a little more challenging. And I want to buy nicer yarn. Any pattern suggestions? I want to keep adding a new skill with each project until I can knit more complicated things.
By the way, there is a very inspiring post on the long term benefits of knitting over at Little Travelers. And hey--thanks to all of you who encouraged me to keep knitting. I think it's going to be really fun!

7 comments:

Suzanne said...

Great job! I am also a loose knitter so usually when a pattern calls for needle size say 8 I need to use a 7. Always do a gauge swatch, that is the key:-) I love Knitty. But by far the best is to support a small knitting/fiber shop in your area. You can learn oodles from those there and get great yarn. Keep knitting!

Meg said...

Those look fantastic! And yay for you for knitting something for yourself first!

I have found lots of great projects in books at the library...and then I discovered Ravelry! You have to request to join, so it takes them a few days to approve the request, but after that, you're in knitter's wonderland! I have found loads of patterns (many free) and you can see other people's finished works and read their comments--often they have helped me figure out tough spots or they can point to help. It's dangerous...

I can't wait to see what you come up with next.

ames said...

Those look so cozy, I love them!

I'd suggest trying out something with wool next (or a wool blend), the struggle you're experiencing with getting the needle into the stitches happens *way* more with cotton. Wool stretches so it's much smoother to knit with. Maybe a hat? Hats are nice and quick. Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's book Knitting Rules! has some really great basic approaches to hats, shawls, and socks that give you lots of room to experiment and customize.

And I definitely second joining Ravelry, it's been an inspiration to me!

Anonymous said...

Yay, I am so proud of youi for sticking with it. Those slippers look fabulous!!

Anonymous said...

Your slippers look great well done - I have to agree with Ravelry too , I have found lots of patterns on there including the cowl I've just finished , saves on the pennies too
lisa x

Unknown said...

Just a thought - that those would look pretty with a green ribbon making a bow between where they separate on top of the foot. Maybe, maybe not, but it came to mind so I thought I'd share.

I love the color.

Unknown said...

Too cool!