Thursday, October 16, 2008

Thursday Night Picnics

On Thursdays we have dinner in the park. It's been our tradition for quite some time now to have Thursday dinner at Subway (it dates back to when I used to stop and visit Jacob on Thursday afternoons on my way home from work and would arrive home too late to cook). Now it is a calming end of the week ritual. When I'm driving home and I realize it is Thursday a wave of relaxation washes over me. No mess, no stressful cooking, just a quiet (sometimes) drive to pick up the sandwiches and a playful time in the park with the boys.
The other day when Ken and I took Rainer to the hospital, we were talking about "what should our family's theme or emphasis be?" In other words, what do we want to emphasize most to the boys? Is it academics? I don't think it should be. I was thinking more of creativity, perseverance, self-acceptance, or a loving heart. But Ken said balance. And it's so true. I want them to learn all of these things (and more) but not one to the exclusion of the others. It's tricky, but balance is what we should aim for in so many things. And so it is with the Subway dinners. I wouldn't want to be having that every night, but once a week? That is just right for us.

15 comments:

Kelli said...

my jaw dropped to see your children eat cheetos. hehe. Your my inspriation when it comes to more healthy choices (that I dont always make) but its good to see and hear you say once a week for balance. hehe Thanks. HUGS

Jessica said...

Little picnics and traditions are so wonderful! I'm a bit jealous that is still picnic weather where you are!!!

dreamingmama said...

Love the idea of balance. I am sure I will push academics, but don't want to. I want to instill in my child a sense of balance that you talked about. That makes sense. We recently started Sunday picnics in our living room with our 16 month old. She loves them and then daddy still gets to watch football. It is truly all about balance!

Angel Funk said...

One of the things I love about your blog is that you do show us the balance in your life, it's very authentic.

Have a great weekend!

Kristy said...

It's funny as my latest post was all about balance too. I totally agree.

Amanda said...

I love your photos and what a great idea for making Thursday dinners relaxing and fun. I agree with the balance aspect. I remember when I was in high school and my dad told me that he'd rather see me get Bs and As and have a life than straight As and not have fun.

ames said...

What a lovely tradition, and I'm just adoring that quilt and the tie dye! If it were me though, I would be tempted to make it Friday instead of Thursday, as a nice relaxing way to kick off the weekend.

Ken's right on, balance is the key and I think it's frequently overlooked, especially when kids end up with extracurricular overload! What about family Yoga practice? Balancing together!

Amy said...

Balance is such a perfect word for describing good parenting! I see so many who do not balance anything for their children. Encouraging all interests, eating a variety of foods, etc... all good for balance too!

The Three Little Bears said...

What great idea. I want cheetos now. lol.

Anonymous said...

I think your Thursday tradition is just lovely. I like to think I started a family Christmas Eve tradition, where we have a 'carpet picnic' on the floor in the living room beside the tree...
Lisa x

Carry Grace said...

This is a great idea. We might have to start doing something similar.

Anonymous said...

Once a week we usually have Chinese food, and although it is not a home cooked meal I enjoy the break tremendously!!!! So true about balance.

Iris said...

Love this Mary Beth! Sometimes I run myself ragged trying to juggle everything and end up serving a home cooked meal, but being stressed and exhausted and bad tempered with the kids. I think we'll have to adopt this ritual!

Annie B said...

balance IS the thing isn't it...might adopt that one. tell ken thanks!

hope all well, am just catching up with blogs after months away...

Laura said...

Ohhhh...the balance comment is a good one! Yes, I agree.