Thursday, August 28, 2008

Zucchini Chocolate Chip Cookies

Last night I decided to do a little baking project with the boys. Now that I'm back to work, I'm giving some thought to how I want to structure my time this school year. Baking on the weekends is a killer because, as much as I enjoy baking, the weekends are packed with other things both pleasurable (Friday night Netflix movie (I hope) and the Saturday morning hikes I swear I won't let fall by the wayside anymore) and necessary (food shopping, cooking ahead for the week, Farmer's market on Sunday, making the little veggie packets and spinning lettuce). So I've been pondering a little midweek baking. Maybe we can do this every week or two.

I've been reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, which I love, and in the July section she does a whole chapter on zucchini, including recipes. I was intrigued to say the least with the idea of chocolate chip cookies with zucchini (recipe here). And you know I love a good vegetable-including baked good. So the boys and I picked some zucchini from the garden and got to work. The recipe was quick and easy--I didn't even get out the mixer, which I loved--and the cookies are might yummy, at least to me and the boys. I will warn you, though, this is a soft cakey cookie. I don't usually like that texture in a cookie at all, but the chocolate brings it all together. I had two of these today for my snack at work.

And how is the first week going? Nicely. I do like the groove of being back in a routine, as much as I miss the home and family. I'm very much a focus on the positive person, though, so I'm enjoying it, and I love a fun challenge, which this is. Now I must run to the store or there will be no milk for morning, which would be extremely sad, not just for the babies, but for my coffee situation as well. Happy weekend!

10 comments:

Rachael said...

They look great! Will be coming back to check all your zucchini recipes when; I get to the new house, plant a garden, grow zucchini and harvest them in the summer! I am planning ahead. Hope you have a lovely weekend.

Maymomvt said...

My kids didn't like those cookies but they liked her tomato sauce so I'm canning tomatoes this weekend.

We start to school on Tuesday. I often bake something after school for a "tea" and then leftovers for lunches. Luckily I only work until 3 PM so I have that window of time in the afternoon to keep up with things leaving the weekends a bit mroe free.

Carrie said...

We're out of milk too!

Carrie said...

And babies!!!

Anonymous said...

AVM changed our lives. i'll have to try the recipe b/c i'm also a veg-in-baked-goods admirer. glad you're adjusting to your new schedule. happy weekend to you guys!

Jessica said...

I just loved AVM. I haven't tried that cookie recipe yet, but I just might when I get my hands on some extra zucchini. I'm looking forward to getting into a nice routine again. I'm glad your first week has rolled by in an enjoyable way. Have a great holiday weekend!

Leslie said...

i have tried those and i thought that they were very good.

Katy said...

Love your blog!

I might get my kids to eat them if they couldn't actually SEE the "green things." Perhaps I'll just make some for myself. Thanks!

Colleen said...

I will have to try these. I am still up to my neck in zucchini's; but I am loving having my own garden this year and trying out lots of new recipes. Thanks for sharing!

Beth H said...

I LOVE THAT BOOK!!! I've been waiting to make the cookies until our veggie co-op has zucchini. It will be in next week so they are on the list! YUMMM.