Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Two Memes

A few weeks ago, Rachael tagged me for this fun meme.
The rules:
1. The rules of the game get posted at the beginning
2. Each player answers the questions about themselves.
3. At the end of the post, the player tags 5 people and posts their name, then goes to their blogs and leaves them a comment, letting them know they have been tagged and asking them to read your blog.

What was I doing 10 years ago?
This was so interesting to contemplate! I was a divorced mom living in Lawrence, Kansas with Jacob and Faith. I was in nursing school at the University of Kansas. That particular summer of '98 I was enrolled in the "Mental Health Nursing" class and I had a clinical rotation at the VA hospital in Kansas City. It was an easy summer. Jacob and Faith went to daycare at Hilltop, on the KU campus, and it was such an excellent program. I'm ever grateful to that daycare center--nothing but fond memories. There are so few pictures from that time! The picture above is actually from 12 years ago, just as I was starting my journey as a divorced parent of two.

Five snacks I enjoy in a perfect, non weight-gaining world (and in this world as well):
Leftover birthday cake
Homemade granola in a bowl with milk and raisins
Biscuits with strawberry jam
Cheese and crackers
Homemade cookies and milk

Five snacks I enjoy in the real world:
My everyday snack I take to work is a string cheese, 6 Triscuits, and fresh fruit, often a fruit salad I prepared the night before.
Homemade granola in a bowl with milk and raisins
Fruit from the yard, often an orange in season, especially our Cara Cara pink oranges, or frozen grapes (not from our yard, though--those I buy at the store)
Homemade bread with freezer jam (currently)
Apple bread, zucchini bread, blueberry muffin etc, all homemade

Five jobs that I have had:
"Busboy" at a restaurant called Tequila Pete's (a Mexican restaurant)
Teaching English to college freshmen when I was in grad school as an English major
Home health aide
Nurse on telemetry floor in hospital
School Nurse

Three of my habits:
Procrastination
Staying up too late when I know I have to get up early the next day
Staying online too long

Five places I have lived:
Fresno, CA
Lawrence, KS
Wichita, KS
Ventura, CA
and Paris France for one semester when I was in college

Five things I would do if I were a billionaire:
I'd add more room onto the house
Remodel the kitchen, especially the countertops
Send my children to the Waldorf school in Santa Barbara, or at least investigate it
Buy a Prius in which to drive the children to Santa Barbara (or maybe just move to Santa Barbara? It's so nice there. You practically have to be a billionaire to afford it . . .)
Donate to cancer research, of course

Five things I need to do today:
Faith is having her birthday party down in Ventura, at my parents' house (at the beach), so I need to
make a pasta salad
make cupcakes
go to my eye appointment at 10:15 and hopefully order new glasses
drive to my parents' house and help supervise the party
fold and put away yesterday's load of laundry

Five people I want to get to know more about:
I'd love to see any of your answers to this meme, so please consider yourself tagged if you like this one.

Also, Chris at Vintage Sweet Peas tagged me for a "Seven Random Facts" meme.
I love sweets
I don't update my ipod enough
When I do, it's often podcasts
I rely on my children for tech support on the computer
Faith scanned the photo above for me because I don't know how to use the scanner (!)
Aging doesn't freak me out

Thanks, Chris! Thanks, Rachael!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Thanks Mary Beth for playing along!
Have a wonderful yet busy day :)
Lisa

jessica said...

I didn't realize you had gone to nursing school after you had children. I'm hoping to do the same - starting pre-req classes this fall in fact. I always love these memes - you always learn something you didn't know.

Mary Elizabeth said...

I love love love your sight. I haven't blogged for 6 weeks. Don't ever turn you back on a 3 year old. You have inspired me to get my act in gear. I love your notebook ideas and your pears especially.