Monday, July 7, 2008

Ahh, better

I admit it--I can get a little cranky on occasion when I don't have any creative time or a chance to sit down and organize my thoughts. It's partly my own fault (not organizing my thoughts on paper) and partly due to the circumstances of summer (or actually just living--creative time is just not always in the program). These last couple days have been a little dicey in that way and I could tell it was time to make something again. Simultaneously, I'm planning a midsummer celebration and there are so many crafts I want to have ready for my littles on that date! (for us, it will be July 20). I was starting to get nervous about getting a start. So, today I plunged in and made these little peg people for the midsummer pinata. (Yeah, a midsummer pinata, not so traditional, but it's part of the planned festivities). Dieter and Ken bought a pinata several weeks ago. Ken asked me for ideas for what to put in it, and I thought of making these little people for the boys. But I was so nervous to get started on them! I'm not artistic in this way (or at all, really) and I was so afraid of them looking like the one and three year olds had made them themselves. Finally, I just decided to let go and make them anyway.
And in truth? I like them. Both boys have already seen them, so they won't be a total surprise. Whatever. At least I know ahead of time that they seem interested. And me? I'm feeling better already, just having a start.
More midsummer craft ideas to come . . .

19 comments:

Mozi Esme said...

Very cute! Glad to see your creative juices are flowing!

Gift of Green said...

Quotable quote: "I am not artistic in this way (or at all, really)" ~ MB

[Laughter] ~ AB

:)

They look wonderful. Love the pirate hat.

Jessica said...

Your little peg people are great- I'm sure the boys will love them even more when they come flying out of the pinata. I can't wait to hear about more of your preparations!

tjoyy said...

these are fabulous just like you

I know just how you feel re going crazy if you dont make stuff

Isnt lovely to have a family that can support you too in that

Angel Funk said...

I love them! The pirate is too cute. I love the one with butterfly wings!

I try to keep some sort of knitting project around at all times, preferably something easy to pick up and put down, so I can at least squeeze in a few rows from time to time during the day. I can really tell when I haven't had any creative time, I get quite irritated!

periwinkle said...

i think they look great, and the lounge pants too
lisa x

Suzanne said...

They came out great--and much better than a pinata full of sugar;-)

Carrie said...

Those are cool! Even if you're not creative (which so isn't true) you do things anyway. That's the biggest part of any endeavor. As Dumbledore says (paraphrased) it's not just the talent you have, it's the choices you make. And you make such great, creative choices!

Amy said...

they are very cute...I am loving those little pirates!

melissa s. said...

they are adorable! I love the idea of putting something other than candy in there. brilliant!

Anonymous said...

I love them!

Jonah Lisa said...

So adorable, Mary Beth. I'm going to make some for Huck. He's mad for pirates.

Melissa said...

Great job! We're making a pinata for July 20th, too, for O's 2nd birthday party. I've been planning on making tiny painted people, so maybe I'll make some for the pinata. Thanks for the inspiration!

ames said...

I love the pirates!

Ooh, a pinata...great idea!

Laura said...

Oh! My! Goodness! Those peg people are the cutest!!! I mean it! I just think you are an amazing artist....the pirate hat is my absolute favorite! I love it! It's DARLING! Can you tell I'm on cute overload here??? I wish you had an etsy shop...can't you just be 'super woman' and make stuff to sell while working full time and mothering full time and nurturing Rainer full time and...and...and....

lizziemarie said...

Whadya mean "not artistic" your life is your art! I love the glimpses of your artsy life with your family.

Little Bits Of Everything said...

What a cute idea to have a midsummer party. I love the little peg people. Do you buy the wooden pegs at a craft store? Look forward to seeing the rest of the craft ideas!

mom go green said...

you are more artistic than you know.
and i love the idea of putting those in the pinata. we are having a pinata on the 19th for my little guy's 4th. i don't want to use candy and was hoping to steal your idea. where did you find the pegs? i don't have much hope of fabricating peg people half as well as you have - but i'd love to try.
thanks for the great idea! look forward to seeing how your party turns out.
btw, your photographs are always beautiful, too

Mary Beth said...

Hmm, I see I never answered the questions about where to find the pegs? Actually, maybe I did in email. For anyone who may be wondering, I ordered them from Casey's Wood Products (just google it), but you can find similar at any craft store (like Michael's or Hobby Lobby). Hope that helps.