Sunday, May 4, 2008

Playing

We had a relaxed weekend. That is so unusual for us and such a nice change. I wasn't rushing around trying to get a million things done or working on any projects in particular. The weekend just sort of unfolded mellowly, if that's a word. Our community hosts a storytelling festival every year in May and this was the weekend. I took Dieter Friday night. We sat outside on a blanket under the stars and cuddled and listened to the storytellers. At one point Dieter let out a contended sigh and said, "this is nice." So sweet. It was wonderful for me to get to spend some time alone with that little guy--we both need more of that.
Saturday morning I decided it was time for another breakfast picnic. We were up very early (thanks to the Rainer man); by 6:30 I'd whipped up a coffee cake with a baby in the sling and a 3 year old helping in the Learning Tower! It seemed appropriate to carry it all outside once the cake came out of the oven and enjoy the cool air. And by that time Ken was up. I was so happy that he joined us! He's not usually a breakfast eater. It was so nice having him. The sun was fantastic--warm, not hot, and while Ken walked with Rainer around the yard Dieter and I had a wonderful time jumping and playing on the trampoline. I rarely play with him like that; I mean really play when I'm relaxed and not trying to accomplish something-- it was so fun and so healthy-feeling, quite honestly. I simply enjoyed Dieter, and bouncing, and falling, and the sun, and my heart beating. Definitely, definitely, I will remember to do that more often.



15 comments:

Kelli said...

sounds like a great weekend.

Erna said...

wow what a precious weekend...
you definitely deserve more of these...

Rachel said...

That sounds like such a lovely weekend! We forget that sometimes the simplest of things can give us the greatest pleasure. R x

Carrie said...

That last picture of you and Dieter should be framed. It's great.

Deanna said...

That is what the most precious memories are made of! You can't buy moments like that.

ames said...

So lovely! I hope you enjoy more weekends like this one.

Julie said...

What a special time... definitely a simple pleasure!

Amy said...

sounds like just a perfect picnic! Zoe and I are planning a gaming picnic in the back yard today...a little candy land on a blanket is just the ticket I think.

Sarah said...

I'm glad you had such a pleasant and relaxing weekend! Your breakfast picnics sound like the perfect start to any day.

tess said...

mellowly - well if it isn't a word it should be, it's perfect, and sounds like your playtime was too. x

Laura said...

My husband is not a breakfast guy either...but he just lost his current job position. We are most thankful that he still has a job and I'm looking on the bright side because now we will have breakfast time with Daddy (he used to get up at 5:15am for work). You are reminding me that I really need to take the time to play with my children more. I read to them all of the time and we always bake together...but I rarely play. Loved the great photos from your weekend. So glad you had a relaxing one and not a rushing around one :)

Marie said...

I would love if my community held a story telling festival. That is a great idea. And how wonderful you got some happy one-on-one time with your guy!

Susan said...

Every time I read your blog I am struck by what a GREAT job you're doing as a mom. I swear, when my kids wake me up at 6:30 I am comatose and grumpy for at least an hour. It wouldn't even occur to me to try to make a coffee cake with a baby on my hip and a three-year old's assistance! You are a wonder!!!

Gift of Green said...

Lovely post, Mama.

amanda said...

What a wonderful weekend. I don't know what sounds better--the storytelling event or the breakfast picnic with fresh cake. Awesome. And I love Dieter's comment. Happy jumping :)