Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Cherry-Lime Goodness

I can't resist sharing one more recipe this week. This is such a fun and quick project with delicious results. This is the Low-Sugar Cherry Lime Jam from the April 2008 Everyday Food. Cherries are full of anti-oxidants because of their dark color; this is a delicious way to get them. You buy a bag of frozen cherries--that's why it's so easy. I used the zest of two (home-grown!) limes and the result is deliciously limey. I love it. Mine turned out "soft set" so I might use a bit more cornstarch next time.

Tuesday is our family movie night and Ken had the very good idea to watch The Crimson Pirate, a funny, light pirate movie from 1952. There are lots of physical jokes, people running around, hiding in a barrel of fish, lots of bonking on the head, so be forewarned about that part. The thing that caught my attention was the costuming. So many jaunty pirate outfits for Burt Lancaster! I was cracking up at the big poufy pirate blouses and the like. But the outfit above takes the cake. In color, it's grey, wide-legged cropped pants and a mint green wrap top cinched with a crimson sash! I was totally inspired to get busy making more pirate pieces for Dieter.

Also today I started physical therapy for my knees. Nothing is terribly wrong; I just hurt my knees running. They are going to show me some stretches and strengthening exercises to do to hold my kneecaps more firmly in place when I run. Believe me, I do feel silly going to PT for myself when my baby has cancer. In theory though, if I can stay fit and healthy for him that will be better for everyone in the long run. I was ready to dismiss the whole thing, but the first session went okay and the therapist said it will only be twice a week for three or at the most four weeks. I think I can manage that. Part of the therapy was to rest with ice and tingly electric currents on my knees for 15 minutes. What a luxury--the closest I will come to a spa day!

9 comments:

Kelli said...

that jam sounds yummy, I think I will try it (soon) and good luck with your day spa. hehe

Heids said...

It is absolutely essential you look after yourself...I think from reading your blog that you are striking a really good balance between caring for all your children and also yourself...keep it up. Hugs and prayers.

lizziemarie said...

thanks for the movie suggestion, it's very difficult to find things worth watching with the large age range here.Take care of yourself.

melissa s. said...

I so agree that taking care of yourself gives you more energy, physically and mentally, to take care of your family! The jam sounds lovely, I think I'll try it!

jessica said...

thanks for sharing the recipe - Ryan loves cherry and especially any cherry lime combination. I will have to try this.

And we tried the Alton brown cookies the other day - delicious! Definitely keep the recipes coming!

Kennedy News said...

That jam looks and sounds very yummy! And you should TOTALLY take care of yourself. You need to be healthy to help your baby be healthy!! Take care...Courtney

Erna said...

I think it's so good to go to the pt just now you need this...and of course when you are fit it's better for your little one too!

Gift of Green said...

Oh, you MUST look after yourself, no guilt/doubt/silliness about it. You MUST.

amanda said...

Yummy cherries! We'll have to try this recipe. Family movie night and (shockingly) your physical therapy both sound like fun. I want to rest with a tingly pack on my knee too. Do I have to hurt my knee first? Or run, for that matter? I hope not :P