Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Welcome to the Birthday Month

January is a total birthday month in our family. There are four birthdays in our immediate household and lots more in the extended family on both sides. I've been so happy to be able to do a little crafting in anticipation of Dieter's birthday, which is tomorrow.
I've made him these pants with elephant pockets, which I've been wanting to do for a long time. They are super simple: I just use the method where you trace around a pair of pants that he already owns. I hope he likes them and wears them . . .
And I've also been wanting to do a little bag for him. It's so he can take his books and toys when he goes on trips with his daddy, carry his change of clothes to the pool in summer, that sort of thing. I'm really liking the straightforward simplicity of these little unlined bags from the Lotta Jansdotter book. And it was so fun embellishing it with embroidery and applique.
Ugh! I'm tired. Not used to getting up this early while I'm on break, but otherwise there is no posting with two little ones tugging on my sleeve. Last night we had a little New Year's dinner with fondue and then the big kids demolished their gingerbread houses--that was fun. Dieter was completely fascinated by the whole thing. Today Ken and Ben are taking a little day trip. I'll venture to the park with the little boys and be getting ready for Dieter's party. Happy 2008!

7 comments:

tess said...

happy new year to you, and happy birthday to Dieter, love the gifts, hope it's a great day. x

Carrie said...

Your pants and little bag are delightful! ;)

Florence Knapp (Flossie Teacakes) said...

Gosh, Mary Beth - your bag is fantastic - your embroidery is so in keeping with the wonderful fabric. I love the style of it.

Yes, Love Actually is brilliant isn't it - the kind of film my husband starts off watching grudingly and then 30 minutes in realises he loves it as much as me!

I hope Dieter has a lovely day! x

Lina said...

Happy New Year Mary Beth. Bag and pants look super cute. Enjoy your birthday month!

amy turn sharp said...

I LOVE the pants!!!! My son has that elephant print as a duvet!
Yr son is a lucky man to have mama like you!

Kate said...

I LOVE that elephant print and that bag is truly adorable, you are amazing!!

Melissa said...

Those are fabulous gifts, great job!!