Monday, January 7, 2008

Eighteen

Jacob turned eighteen over the weekend. It is just amazing to me, as a mother, to realize that my baby is so big now, so grown up. I am really really proud of this boy. He is such a great kid--kind, patient, amazing with his little brothers, smart, creative, quiet, tolerant, modest, athletic, dear.
The thing that strikes me the most about him is the good choices he has made--all of his own good character. I've tried to be a good mother--and indeed he is the child I spent the most time with in the early years, playing, reading--but there were some rough times. The divorce, being uprooted to move from Kansas to California (to be closer to my parents--luckily his dad followed) and most of all the huge disruption of my remarriage. That was hard. But Jacob is strong and I am so proud of who he has become.

Jacob, I am so proud of you. I wish you all the happiness and learning as you branch out and continue your journey.

7 comments:

Melissa said...

Nice birthday cookies! Congrats on a job well done mama (not that your job is really done, but you know what I mean) you raised a good boy ;o)

Suzanne said...

Well done! I went through a similiar situation and as hard as it was I am seeing the fruit of being Mom:-) What a really great kid you have.

Sarah and Jack said...

Wow, 18. Happy Birthday Jacob.

Florence Knapp (Flossie Teacakes) said...

He sounds lovely - you must be very proud. Your biscuity cakes look gorgeous too. Wishing you all a happy day. Florence x

Felicia said...

Happy Birthday Jacob! :)

tess said...

Birthday wishes to the birthday boy, no at 18 I guess birthday man!
Sounds like you deserve to be proud of him and yourself!

Sarah said...

Happy birthday, Jacob! He sounds like a wonderful son.