Tuesday, December 18, 2007

It's Getting Closer

It's raining here right now. That is like a miracle every time it happens. It never rains in southern California. I'm loving the sound of it--the babies slept well too--I think it has a hypnotic effect.

We added the animals for week 3 of the advent wreath. I'm loving it. Next week will be the human figures.
I'm trying to think of what to eat over the holidays. Not Christmas dinner--we'll go to my parents house for that, thank goodness (my mother does very well with Christmas dinner). Right now I'm trying to come up with ideas for a fun Christmas Eve dinner. The teens will all be with their other parents, so it will just be Ken and I and the two little boys. I have in mind a fun casual dinner, something the children will like, and I'm hoping to come around to a new tradition we can settle into over the next few years. Any ideas out there?

Christmas breakfast is always fun. That I have already been doing for quite awhile. Usually a breakfast casserole, although lately I have preferred quiche, a certain coffee cake that my father loves, fruit, that sort of thing. I think breakfast at home is so very appealing because you can have just the right combination of savory and sweet.

And lastly, I'm trying to think about New Year's Eve too. I want to Netflix some fun movies--really fun movies we will like. Any ideas? Lately I have absolutely no idea what to watch--I'm completely hopeless. Faith and I just finished watching Project Runway Season 3 (I so love Project Runway!) but my attention span is so short right now I hardly watch a movie. Actually, Ken and I did watch Best in Show Friday night. It was all right. I was actually proud of myself for watching a whole movie. I think my online time, clicking from thing to thing, has eroded my attention span, sadly. Have to do something about that.

Happy Tuesday!

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Now you've got that song "It Never Rains in Southern California" running through my head!

We have a wonderful Christmas Eve tradition (I think). My parents have us kids and both of my grandmas over. We open presents, read aloud The Littlest Angel, and then sing a few Christmas songs. When my brothers and I were younger we all played an instrument, but as we got older I just played the piano. Now that my SIL has joined the family, she has taken over the piano duties because she's much better than me! Then we all have a dinner of hors d'overs (I know I didn't spell that right!) like cheese pizza on pita bread, taco dip, little smokies, fruits and veggies, etc.

tess said...

love yor advent wreath figures!
we always have a baked ham on Christmas eve, it's easy, the kids love it, especially with mash, and it creates wonderful leftovers of the breakfast variety....
I love Sarah's singing tradition too.

amanda said...

I love your advent wreath!! It's so pretty, and I bet your little ones really enjoy watching the scene unfold from week to week. Next year I think I'll do it this way, too. But the way things are going I better start planning now, LOL.

Your Christmas breakfast sounds perfect, I think I'll do the same. I love those breakfast casseroles that can be assembled the night before. And with cake and fresh fruit--perfect!

As for Christmas Eve dinner, I know a few families that always eat fondu on Christmas Eve. Last year for Solstice we did the following, which was really easy: A box of wild rice meatballs in the crockpot with a jar of marinara and a big splash of red wine, a crusty loaf of french bread, raw veggies and dip, and some fresh fruit. It was so easy and yummy. For dessert on solstice was have sun cake, which is just lemon poppyseed coffee cake. I think we'll have the exact same meal this year.

Amy said...

If you want something good and easy, something you can prepare ahead of time ---I have a great one for you. I have not found one person that has not liked this...don't let the cottage cheese fool you...it is the best recipe for lasagna I have found yet...ok at least the "easiest best"
http://myzoebug.blogspot.com/2007/10/easy-peasy-lasagna-pleasy.html
I have a couple of cookie "tin" ideas with tutorials on my blog too...I know you had asked about that.

Carrie said...

I love Project Runway! Anna and I watch it together also. We haven't seen Season 3 yet. Is it good?

Gift of Green said...

I would say either one of the "Father of the Bride" movies - with Spencer Tracey or Steve Martin. Both are wonderful and for some reason they have a holiday feel to them...