Tuesday, December 11, 2007

How to Make Peppermint Bark

A few years ago a nice lady at work gave me some peppermint bark she had made. I loved it, and I've wanted to make my own ever since. Last week I was inspired by Grace's post to actually go forward with it, at last! You will need dark chocolate and white chocoate (I used about a pound each) and candy canes (several--I ended up using 8 or 9).
Coarsely chop your dark chocolate.
Use a heavy bottomed pot and melt the chocolate slowly over a very low flame--as low as you can possibly make it. Don't go far from the pot and stir frequently. I've never had a problem melting chocolate this way, and it's so much easier than a double boiler.
Place parchment paper on a large baking sheet and spread your chocolate all the way to the edges of the paper. This is the fun part. When it is spread nice and evenly, put it in the fridge for about 15 minutes or until firm.
Meanwhile, crush your candy canes in a towel using a hammer or some similar object. This is also a fun part--it smells fantastic!
Melt the white chocolate and then let it cool for a couple minutes. This is so it won't be quite so hot when you are spreading it over the dark chocolate layer.
When the dark chocolate is firm and the white chocolate has cooled slightly, spread it over the dark chocolate. Be careful--don't let the dark chocolate swirl into the white.
Sprinkle the crushed candy canes over the whole thing and press them in a little. Chill until firm.
Break it up and voila! Peppermint bark! Yummy.

7 comments:

esusan94 said...

Yum! I want to try that. Trader Joes has great melting chocolate. I wonder if it is Giardelli brand. :)

Sarah said...

That looks amazing! We haven't made ours yet today, and your pictures seriously have me drooling. How funny that we were thinking the same thing!

Kate said...

yum yum yummy. that's all there is to say. I would actually really love to make some holiday treats, thanks for the idea, this one looks great!

Gift of Green said...

Ah HA! Finally something I can be negative about. I HATE peppermint bark. Something about the mix of flavors. Your photographs, however, are beautiful. Maybe I'll just eat the photographs.

Lina said...

My husband just drooled when he saw this!

Melissa said...

Oh that looks SO good!

Mary said...

Thanks for the recipe, I am trying to make today.