Thursday, December 27, 2007

Crafting for my Man

I'm usually at a loss as to what to make for Ken, but he of all people has an appreciation for and belief in handmade gifts. And he certainly more than deserves to be the recipient of my sewing--he's the one that makes it possible (by taking the kids sometimes specifically so I can sew, and for being such a hands on father all the time). This year I was happy with the gifts I came up with for him. This simple tote (inspired by the one in Lotta Jansdotter's book) made from a sturdy canvas with just a little striped trim. I really loved working with the canvas fabric for all its sturdiness, and the fact that it is unlined makes it manly enough for him (I hope!).

And this fabric box. He had specifically wanted a CD holder to contain all our Christmas CDs. For this I followed the instructions in the Amy Butler In Stitches book. I had to make some adjustments--I think the measurements given for the Timtex lining were off--but it turned out surprisingly well for my first fabric box. I'd love to make more in different fabrics.
And what crafting does this week hold, you may ask, with me being off work and all? Dieter's birthday is rapidly approaching (it's January 3rd!) and I'd love to have a basket of handmade goodness for him. Time will tell how much I get accomplished, but it is certainly fun to try.

4 comments:

Amy said...

The box is wonderful! That is just the ticket for a man! I am thinking maybe I could do the same but for all of his computer disks/cds/whatnots...

tess said...

what lovely gifts!

I've been thinking about making some of those cd holders, I'll keep an eye on the measurements, thamks for the tip off.

tess said...

what lovely gifts!

I've been thinking about making some of those cd holders, I'll keep an eye on the measurements, thamks for the tip off.

Melissa said...

Great fabric box! I have that book and I should make one of those ;o)