Monday, September 17, 2007

More Apple-y Goodness

I'm really enjoying the mini-harvest of apples we got from Phil and Lois's yard. Last week it was apple pie, this week apple crisp. I'm sometimes not a huge fan of apple crisp, and I was fully planning to turn these into applesauce, but at the last minute decided to err on the side of more fat and more crunch. Can you really blame me?
The current issue (October) of Everyday Food has both recipes for apple sauce and apple crisp. This crisp really stands up to its name--it's crisp, not at all soggy, and that is why I really like this one. Even leftover in my lunch today it was crisp!
Apple Crisp

3/4 c. all purpose flour
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/2 t. salt
1/2 c. plus 2 T granulated sugar
1 stick butter, cut into small cubes
1 c. old fashioned oats
3 lbs. apples, cut into 1/2" chunks
2 T. lemon juice
1/2 t. ground cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 375. In a large bowl, mix together flour, brown sugar, salt, and 2 T. granulated sugar. Cut butter into flour until mixture is the texture of course crumbs. Add oats, and use your hands to squeeze mixture unitl large, moust clumps form. Transfer to freezer to chill while you prepare the apples.
2. In another large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice, cinnamon, and remaining 1/2 c. sugar. Transfer to a shallow 2-qt. baking dish, and sprinkle with topping mixture. Place baking dish on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until golden and bubbling, 55-65 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

I'm making the picture of the apple crisp my desktop background. It looks great!

Felicia said...

That looks incredibly delicous.

Mama Said Sew said...

Looks great! It's finally cooled off here and I can't wait to do some apple baking. Think I'll have to try this recipe.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I made this yesterday and it was gorgeous! So glad you posted the recipe!