Tuesday, August 21, 2007

The Quilt!!

Finally I am done with the quilt and I have to say, I'm really delighted with the final result. For something that arose very spontaneously, without putting any "research" into it or even buying a quilting book (and if you know me you know I'm all about the Amazon shop-ups!) I think it turned out amazingly well, and it was very satisfying to "present" Rainer with his quilt yesterday afternoon.
The patchwork top was of course the easiest part. After that, things got stalled when I couldn't seem to make it down to Ventura to buy fabric for the backing (I'd already bought the batting there but no backing, thinking I was going to use an old sheet--then, when the time came to look for the sheet it was gone--apparently Ken had used it for a drop cloth !?).
Once the backing was purchased I saw it wasn't wide enough, so I not-very-artfully pieced the back. The machine quilting was the part I was least prepared for. I don't have a special foot for my machine so I just forged ahead--there were lots of little puckers and tucks but I honestly don't see how there couldn't be--I pinned thoroughly but everything got all shifty when going through the machine. Then all that was left was the binding. I just cut straight strips and machine and hand sewed them all--the corners got a little dicey but all is well now.
Once I ran it through the washer and dryer it got all soft and crinkly and I love it. Now, as expected, Dieter is into it and wants one too. Which is great as far as I'm concerned. Can't wait to buy his fabrics!

5 comments:

Carrie said...

It's beautiful! I'm glad you got to finish it before the summer ended.

Mary Beth said...

Thanks, Carrie. I'm feeling so good about it!

jessica said...

This is so great - I love all of the fabrics! All from different designers, but they all tie together nicely to make such a fun quilt.

Gift of Green said...

Absolutely beautiful!

Di said...

I love your quilt! The colours and fabric are so beautiful and it looks as perfect in the garden as it does in the cot!!