Friday, July 6, 2007

Making Pizza

So here is something new and different I am doing this summer: I am making our own pizza. It's kind of a big deal for me. When I married Ken I married into the tradition of two-for-one Tuesday nights at Domino's and we've been having that most Tuesday nights for the last five years (!). (I know.) Faith and I get sick of it, but I have nothing to complain about really because it's relatively cheap and I don't have to cook and clean up that night, and we are really busy people. But this summer I decided to make pizza myself, hopefully so I'll greet Domino's nights with renewed enthusiasm this Fall.

It's easy, and I hope to come up with some somewhat interesting combinations as we go along. So far the most ambitious thing has been BBQ chicken pizza (above you see turkey pepperoni).

The crust is the thing; after that it's all easy. And the crust is easy too when you make it in the food processor.

Food Processor Pizza Crust
3 c. bread flour
3/4 t. sugar
1 1/2 t. yeast
1 c. hot water
3/4 t. salt
3 T. olive oil

Put the steel blade in the food processor. Add 1 c. of the flour, the sugar, and the yeast. Zap for a second, then add the hot water down the tube while the machine is running.

Stop the machine, add the other 2 cups of flour, the salt and the oil. Zap for 15 to 20 seconds or so, until the dough comes together in a ball. Dump this into a bowl and cover and let rise for 30 mins. Your dough is ready! (So easy!)
This recipe comes from Eat, Drink, and be Chinaberry. It's very good and I've used it several times. All I do at this point is roll out the crust in a rectangle, directly onto the cookie sheet, add my toppings, and bake at 450 for about 10 mins, until the crust is golden. I accept that this is going to be a soft crust, not crisp like a pizzeria, although there are many methods out there for producing crispier crusts.

This has been a nice change of pace for us and hopefully we can greet Domino's nights with more enthusiasm come Fall.


Carrie said...

The pizza looks very good. I got back from VA yesterday. I had a great time. Mark & I drove to Topsail, NC and stayed at a hotel on the beach. The whole trip, even though it was short, was very nice and very much needed. I was well for several days. The drs, office did run a bunch of blood tests which are all normal but I am still waiting for the results of the lyme disease test which should come tomorrow. I'm enjoying the frequent blogs. I hope to try some of the recipes next week.

Mary Beth said...

I'm glad you're feeling better and that the trip was fun. I hope to keep up with my blogging, but even in summer it's hard.