Monday, March 5, 2007

Finding His Fingers

I was a huge thumb sucker as a child. I thumb-sucked well over an acceptable age for such things--I think I was seven, or even eight, until I was compelled to give it up. But none of my children have been thumb suckers. Jacob loved the paci (until age four), Faith was a huge nursey-lover, and little Dieter, who was weaned from the breast early (14 months) is now completely in love with his ba-ba.
It seems strange to me that none of them showed any interest in the thumb, especially since it worked out so well for me, and the thumb is such a readily available source of comfort. My littler Rainer boy just might be showing tendencies. The last few days he's taken to sucking any fingers he can find, especially the two middle ones, and sometimes the thumb. I've tried to get him to take a pacifier, and he does suck on it, but doesn't seem to be able to keep it in his mouth for any length of time. It will be interesting to see what happens, especially since he'll be starting daycare soon, and self-comforting will come in handy.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My brother sucked his two fingers as well. It was SO hard to get him to stop...try and force that pacy if he has to suck on something! This little one is SO cute! LOVE THOSE BABIES!